Author Topic: Doob's ERC  (Read 9531 times)

Offline DuBois

Doob's ERC
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:02:19 pm »
Well, DUMB ERC was a dumb name, so I changed it  ;)

I in no way meant disrespect to anyone.

OK, you might remember this one that lost reflex after sinewing and then came back to 2.75" reflex. I put a layer of sinew with TB3 and it again lost a little and then ended up at 2.5" after tiller. Came out at 57#  @ 28" and I like the way it shoots. 62" t-t ERC. I called it DUMB because as some of the more experienced members have pointed out, this piece of wood  may have been better as firewood. I think I got the need to try to make a bow from not very prime wood out of my system. But, I cut this when I first started gathering wood and I had to try it. Maybe I should a called it Unfinished Business.

I have to say I agree with the guys who said they wouldn't put the time into this piece of wood that I did. If I had done this much to a prime stave I would have no doubts at all about it's trustworthiness. Still glad I did it though and learned some from it.

Decrowned back and lots of knots filled with sawdust and super glue. Left 'em alone on the belly side. 1.25" reflex when just unbraced and back to 2.25 so far.

4 layers sinew total and a layer silk for the cover with bison horn overlays and sinew wraps dyed in coffee and hibiscus tea. Goat hide strike and wrapped on lower riser to accent the beads my sister did long ago and they lost their backing leather; finally found a use for them.

Some soft old rope I untwisted for handle saturated with TB3.

Finished with super glue coat and 3 coats tru-oil. Probably gonna pumice it someday but happy enough for now. Thanks for looking.
Marco DuBois

somebody snuck in here

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:28:41 pm by DuBois »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: DUMB (way too many pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:07:02 pm »
What wood? really cool bow!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:12:25 pm »
That's a real nice cedar bow! Love the finish work :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:18:44 pm »
Nice work on that one, very cool looking bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:18:54 pm »
Wow!  That is so very pretty!  Love the way the silk looks on the back, ...and the beadwork is just the right touch!

OneBow

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »
That's one sweet looking bow right there..... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:27:04 pm »
Wow, you look way younger than I thought you would! Great job on that bow , little fella! ;)

Offline bushboy

Re: DUMB ERC (way too many pics)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:31 pm »
wow,that's cool!beauty finish! 8)
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:40 pm »
Man Doobs!   That is gorgeous!  You did such a nice job on it that I hate to mention this, but...the silk severely diminishes the effectiveness of the sinew.  Silk is very strong, but it doesn't stretch much.  The sinew's main advantage is how far it will stretch and snap back.  This extra stretch of the sinew relieves stress on the belly as well as taking the tension load.  By putting silk over it, you have turned your wonderful sinew into extra mass.  Don't get me wrong, its absolutely beautiful and I'm  sure it shoots great.  However, if you leave the silk off the next one, I'm pretty sure that you will really be impressed.   Once again,   absolutely gorgeous bow!  Josh

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »
AH DANG! I never thought of that!
Thanks for the truth though Josh. Much appreciated. Maybe I will scrape off the silk. Wouldn't be too hard to do. Go over it with some TB3 and crushed charcoal instead.
Do you think that would require work on the belly side or could I get away with just reworking the back as light as possible?
Wow, you look way younger than I thought you would! Great job on that bow , little fella! ;)
Thanks, I may be  really good at this when I grow up  ;)
Thanks Will, yeah I tried to step it up a level on this bows finish.
Thank you DBar.
Thanks BB and onebow.
Thanks SS and bushboy.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:42:24 pm »
No way man!  Don't  be for doing anything  but shooting this bow.   Simple rule...if it ain't broke don't fix it.  That info was purely for future reference.  If you try scraping that off, you'll have a mess for sure.   ERC is light enough to counter the weight of the sinew.   So I'm guessing its still pretty snappy.    Enjoy it and make another!  Josh

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:57 pm »
10-4 I'll shoot it and see how long it will hold up with all those knots  ;D

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 11:07:53 pm »
Beautiful! I love the  colour contrast of the silk/ sap and heartwood.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 11:27:44 pm »
Love it - very nice work.  Bet it zips an arrow too.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DuBois

Re: DUMB ERC (better FD pic)
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 11:39:22 am »
Thank you MW, I'm no expert but it seems to be pretty fast.

Thanks Robert. I couldn't resist the contrast on this wood even though there was better bow wood in the garage.