Author Topic: Cookie Tin Banjo  (Read 25048 times)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: Cookie Tin Banjo
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:18 am »
Is there a sound post in there?

Me like
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »
Otay, well here's how it DID sound before I tweaked it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbENL7IxCXQ

youtube link
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mallorn

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:13 pm »
Thanks for posting your details here, I love how it turned out!  Making abanjo is on my long term to-do list, and a running joke in my house is when a stray cat pisses me off enough it will be the parts needed.  I had the idea to make cat gut strings and to stretch the hide for the "body" from the Foxfire books; love the idea of using a metal tin though, that would be loads easier.   :o

You were adventurous putting on frets, I agree with the other responder in that I would probably go for the easier build and go fretless.  What did you use for a reference on spacing your frets?  I imagine it look a lot of time prepping the copper, but I love the color it gave the neck. 

What is the final weight; does it feel heavy?  The neck looks a bit thick and a bit wide and I wonder how it sits on the lap.  One thing I love about the banjo is how narrow the neck is; it is a bit easier to play with my smaller hands as such. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:27 pm »
mallorn you can make a banjo out of most anything, go on you tube and search hubcap banjos you will be amazed at what comes up, most you can build for next to free

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 05:01:36 pm »
That my friend IS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:10 pm »
I am every bit as fond of handmade music as I am of handmade bows.  Here's a link to a guy you will all really dig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbAZPHtDIY0

While it is not accoustic, you can't deny the talent and unique quality. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »
bubby, I did finally find a reference to doing what you mentioned, sticking wedges against the dowel stick to tension the head. I may try that next time. I have to look up hubcap instruments that sounds too cool.

Mallorn, just get busy and do it! I'm surprised how little time it took, even with the fretting. It was no more time and less frustrating than building a bow out of a twisted sapling. With the price of failure set somewhere below making kindling while punching myself in the face.  :P I just ordered two of the foxfire books, can't wait till they show up. I know some cats that would be less annoying turned into bagpipes nevermind banjos  >:D

The fretting was fairly easy, I found an excel spreadsheet at bluestemstrings.com; all you have to do is input the nut-to-bridge measurement, and the fret locations are spit right out. I drew them up on Paint.net with the coordinates set to cm, printed them off and glued them to the fretboard. All I had to do was cut on the lines, which I did using a fine-tooth jigsaw blade mounted to the correct depth in a stick. The depth itself I figured using trial and error, flattening my wire until it fit in the slot and adjusting accordingly.
It probably took no more than about 3 or 4 hrs to flatten and file the frets themselves, but I wasn't keeping track. Just meditatively spending a slow morning with a fire and a pot of coffee.
The weight is ALL in the neck, so the balance is definitely weird. I'm not a musician so I couldn't intelligently discuss the playability on that measure. I made the neck fairly wide so I could pull down when bending strings, and because being no musician it's much easier for me to play cleanly with a wide string spacing. It coulda been lots narrower. That's also why I ultimately put on frets... My skills really don't allow for any additional levels of difficulty haha.

Thanks killir duck, Olanigw (Pekane), JW, paoliguy, Leroy, and lostarrow!

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mallorn

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 02:17:28 pm »
Thanks for the bit on being able to make a banjo out of anything, hub caps and the youtube vid (that guy is way more serious than I am though!).  Good tips!

My two cents on a fretboard.  If you are a novice with string instruments, a fret board is by far the easier way to go and a faster way to pick out a tune on an instrument.  If it only takes a few hours to add on frets, I would highly recommend it!  Why did you settle on copper smashed flat, just what you had around?  I'm trying to think of any metal sold in a ribbon that would work right off the shelf but nothing is coming to mind.

Having a heavy neck will probably make it more difficult to play if you are holding it for a long time, but unless you are playing all night around a campfire it shouldn't be a bother for a few songs here and there.  For anyone following along, wider strings and a wider neck will make it easier to not bump into neighboring strings, but will make you stretch more and the neck will be wider (heavier).  If you are reaching across the neck to play 3 or 4 strings at once, the closer you can cram them together the easier the stretch. I have smaller hands so I like stuff crammed together.  Also to keep in mind, when you are stretching across strings you are often mixing up your fingers to be a couple of frets up or down from another one.  If you never plan on playing more than one string at a time then you can do whatever the heck you want though, and you can also tune each string to favor finger placement. 

Mallorn, just get busy and do it!

I loved this encouragement, you are throwing gas on this old idea that has kindled for a long time!  I won't be able to start too soon, but will follow up when that day comes.  I'm still working on my first bow; my first cut was made over six months ago.  :o

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 03:41:25 pm »
here's a link to my cigar box guitar zen man, c b getty is a place to get all the parts you have to buy http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41474.msg554851.html#msg554851

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 03:44:09 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7nVZbZue0&feature=player_detailpage
JW if you like home made music take  a listen

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 10:21:02 pm »
Yeah Mallorn, copper is just something I had on hand that I figured I could work with. They should wear just fine using nylon (or B50  ;D) Wasn't ever going to put steel strings on anyways, my fingers are way too delicate for that haha. :P
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 10:12:51 pm »
Couldn't leave this topic without updating the sound of the banjo. I did a few tweaks to tension the head (wedges and rubber band - tensioned buttons), thinned the bridge a bit, and put nylon strings on. I think you'll be surprised how banjo-like this banjo sounds now.

http://youtu.be/FbiSCd3_z_I

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:11 pm »
That is some really cool sh...shtuff!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 10:43:06 pm »
Hey ZenMonk, you need to do a duet with this li'l lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginTpu7u_HU

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »