Author Topic: Anybody ever use one of those high gloss carnuba car waxes on a bow?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline toomanyknots

I know nobody really I know really likes a real glossy bow... but I was thinking of trying it out,  :). I wonder if it would look ok?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

Re: Anybody ever use one of those high gloss carnuba car waxes on a bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:17 pm »
go for it tmk, some guys like shiny bows, I think keenan said when he hunts he puts sleeves on the limbs
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:20:31 am »
Used to use it on older Bear high end bows. works really well on poly/plastic type finishes. Make sure the finish has cured well first
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:43:16 am »
I've used the Birchwood Casey gunstock wax.  It does a nice job and works well over tru oil. I use it on my arrows also.  I used to use the carnuba car wax on carbon and aluminum arrows to make em slicker.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:25:36 am »
Most of my target bows have a gloss finish. I believe it's more resistant to moisture. I use a beeswax based salad bowl polish for touch ups.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:24:51 pm »
I tried to make some paste wax myself this morning. I melted 1 part carnuba wax flakes, to one part beewax, to 1 to two parts turpentine (I eyeballed it). The carnuba wax seemed to not mix in with the beeswax and turned back into flakes in the mix though, so I pitched it. I think what would look really good is if I could get a good glossy paste wax made (or bought somewhere) and put that over a pure tung oil finish. I think that it might look really good, and be easier to apply than messing with tru oil. (Ok, I know tru oil is super easy to apply, but it goes bad so fast for one, is expensive as heck for me at least, that and my cats are invading the area I typically use to finish my bows and bringing their hair with them. ) I don't know what paste waxes are glossy, and which are matte, as it is my understanding that typical wood paste wax is used over glossy finishes to cut the shine / dull it a bit? Is this correct, or do I got it all screwed up like usual?  :) That's why I thought I should try some of the shinier carnuba car waxes, to get that glossy shine look.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:07:22 pm »
By the way, anybody use Black Bison Wax? It sounds like it might be what I am looking for... I think I might try the 3m ultra high gloss wax too, right over the wood, as long as it doesn't smell to bad.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 02:02:39 pm »
tmk I use a hardwood floor wax, TREWAX brand clear paste wax over tung oil, but I don't think it's pure tung oil, it's a mix of bees wax and Brazilian carnuba wax, I love the finish I get

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »
When I used to work at the guitar shop. I started in the finish department.  All we used was Meguiars wax.  I would sand to 1000 grit then buff out the marks with progressively finer grits of wax.  At the end we would use 26 high tech wax.  It works great.  At the end and to clean them we would use final inspection.  Meguiars has some great products.  I hope this helps :)

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 04:33:52 pm »
I tried Turtle wax one time.  Never again at least on hunting bows.  I could still smell that bow 3 months later. 

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 06:31:29 pm »
Thanks bubby, I will try that out. And thanks chessie for the heads up, I will steer clear of turtle wax. Idaho, I will give your method a try, thanks for the advice. I picked up a tin of black bison wax from woodcrafters a little while ago. The can says "Black Bison is known for it's pleasant aroma". Soon as I open the can, I get assaulted with a mix of chemicals and baby wipes, the smell is horrible,  :). I tried it out on a warbow I have been playing around with, it works very good. Has a high "luster" and was exactly what I was looking for looks wise, but the smell is just putridity sweet and nasty at the same time. (At least I don't like it, my wife thinks it smells good) Will never use this stuff again. Also, the can was so old it had rusted significantly, and all the rust and metal chips were all over the top of the wax. Products like this I guess just sit on woodcrafts shelves forever. Every bottle of tru oil I have ever bought there has been bad. I gotta remember that when buying stuff from woodcrafters,  >:(. Now I can get a great glossy finish from just beeswax, but it gets sticky in the sun, and everything like hair and stuff sticks to it period.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:32 pm »
tmk I got my wax at tru value

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 07:06:03 pm »
tmk I got my wax at tru value

Thank you.