Author Topic: Working on a static recurve  (Read 20859 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Working on a static recurve
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2014, 09:26:09 pm »
Dang, I'm sorry to see that. I've had enough laminated bows fail on me to know how you are feeling.
Gordon

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2014, 10:04:55 pm »
I just saw this for the first time quickly went through each page and....oh man.   That sucks.  Sorry to see that. I know that feeling all too well. ??? >:(   :(    :-\   :-[ :'(
Was look'n really sweet.  Can't wait to see your next one!  I always look forward to seeing your bows. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PatM

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 12:39:58 am »
Do you have access to  backing material that will give you a growth ring as a back?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:04 am »
Do you have access to  backing material that will give you a growth ring as a back?

In addition to the Hickory backed Osage that had a single growth ring backing that I mentioned above I have had White Ash single growth rings backings fail in a similar manner.  I've never had a quarter sawn White Ash backing fail like that although I have had Hickory fail, again explosively.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 08:54:07 am »
Bummer Adam.......stupid boards anyway...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 10:20:18 am »
Sorry man that thin was fixin to be awesome.

Offline adb

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 10:27:18 am »

In addition to the Hickory backed Osage that had a single growth ring backing that I mentioned above I have had White Ash single growth rings backings fail in a similar manner.  I've never had a quarter sawn White Ash backing fail like that although I have had Hickory fail, again explosively.

I have some great 1/4 sawn ash backing strips. Come to think of it, I've never had ash fail either. Guess it'll be ash for the next build.

I'm very disappointed with the hickory. I always thought it was the toughest backing material, and that's why I used it for this highly stressed design.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 10:42:02 am »
I used Yellow Birch a couple of times for backings and even though the stave I was ripping strips from had a bit of twist at one end I was extremely impressed by it's strength and resilience.  If I could find a tree that had straight growth throughout I think I would switch that
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:26 am »
I think part of the problem with Hickory is that people don't know what type of Hickory they are actually getting.
 The Bitternut variety is quite brittle and it often seems to be the type actually in lumber form.
 Many times I have seen a stack of Hickory that is labelled Shagbark and the few pieces with a chunk of bark remaining on them have all clearly been Bitternut.
 The bend test of pieces of it actually fare very poorly and break readily.

Offline adb

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 10:47:49 am »
What's your opinion on white oak? I have one nice piece of 1/4 sawn WO. I've only used it once, and it seemed good.

Offline adb

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2014, 10:57:24 am »
Bummer Adam.......stupid boards anyway...;)

Stupid board bows. Who makes stupid board bows anyway.  ::) I hate board bows.

Offline PatM

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2014, 11:11:03 am »
Never had a chance to try it but many people seem to give it great reviews.
 I don't  have the tools to actually cut backing strips so the few times I have made backed bows have been with worked down staves to a few growth rings using a hatchet and rasp etc. or with Maple strips that I can buy in the right dimensions from a specialty wood store.
 I did get access to a bandsaw that a friend has to cut a hickory strip for my Grumley replica.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21:39 pm »
We have piles of skids around work that are from white ash. Its easy to find any cut you want. Problem is they are all 32" long. Otherwise Id grab some up and send them your way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:43 pm »
We have piles of skids around work that are from white ash. Its easy to find any cut you want. Problem is they are all 32" long. Otherwise Id grab some up and send them your way.

Don't worry brother, I have lots of ash backings already cut and sanded for backings! 7' long.

Offline bubby

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2014, 03:03:40 pm »
I have used white oak for backers a lot, never had a fail
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹