Author Topic: Working on a static recurve  (Read 20959 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Working on a static recurve
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »
you want a little salt to rub that in?
yep looking good on this end

let him have this one bubby, hockey is all canada really has. well that and free medical, and they need that for all the BBBBBUUURRRNNN!!!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2014, 03:00:18 pm »

Hey, Bubbster... you'd be walkin' a wee bit taller and gloating just a smidge if you left us hung-dog on the ice in front of the whole world. We're proud to beat the Yanks cuz you're good. If you sucked, who (including us) would care? I think it's a really healthy rivalry that makes hockey a great game. The Canadian / American women seem to take it a bit far, but women fight dirty!

your right there , would of been hi times to beat you at your own game, take care of that thumb, had similar and it will be tender for some time, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2014, 04:53:01 pm »

let him have this one bubby, hockey is all canada really has. well that and free medical, and they need that for all the BBBBBUUURRRNNN!!!!

;D ;D ;D I don't think so, but you keep telling yourself that! Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Offline adb

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2014, 04:55:14 pm »
Well, I couldn't stop. I gave my thumb a wee rest, and bundled it up a bit better, and carried on. I had to see how this one turned out.

Here it is at full brace... 6.5", and pulling to 42#@24".

Bottom limb on the left. I think I'm diggin' it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:59:18 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »
Comments on tiller are welcome.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2014, 05:05:16 pm »
Man that is coming along super nice ,Good on ya
 Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline bubby

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2014, 05:14:06 pm »
I like it adb, if I get hiper picky may be a slight flat outer third on the right, but it may be a shadow, I don't think I would touch it though that is a nice bend, bub

Offline adb

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2014, 06:10:22 pm »
Put 4 doz arrows through it. Left it braced for about 2-3 hours to sweat a little. Freshly unbraced set looks minimal... maybe 1/2". I think I'll sand it out and FINALLY call it a bow.

I haven't had a bow give me fits like this for a long time. This one was definitely outside the box for me. Way outside the box. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever get this to work.

Offline adb

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »
The plan is to snake skin this puppy. So, when I get it all polished up, I'll do a final separate post. Tiller comments are still welcome, as I won't sand it out 'til tomorrow or Sunday.

Offline PatM

« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:56 pm »
I like it. I also see vague hints of flat spots on that right limb but not enough to definitively pinpoint in an online picture.
 Call it good and just refine the recurves as much as you dare.

Offline bubby

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2014, 06:38:43 pm »
the more I look at it the more I like it, I think my eye gets drawn to that knot in the plywood backstop and was messing with me, I think you got a winner there

Offline adb

« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2014, 06:54:18 pm »
I like it. I also see vague hints of flat spots on that right limb but not enough to definitively pinpoint in an online picture.
 Call it good and just refine the recurves as much as you dare.

Thanks, Pat. I'm very relieved this one turned out. I think I would have given up had I broke this one. I guess third times the charmed.

I don't know if I'll refine the tips much more. I'm pretty reluctant to make them much smaller. It shoots pretty nice, with minimal hand shock, so I'm just going to round them off a bit and sand them out. The static tips are the same thickness as the distal part of the working limbs, so I don't think I'll go further. Plus, hickory is a bit lighter than ipe anyway.

Offline adb

« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »
Just as a point of reference, here's mass weights:

Finished glue up, profiled and ready to start hand tillering: 620 grams
Mid way tillering, 40#@16": 580 grams.
Final weight, fully tillered, but grip not shaped: 556 grams

I'm guessing the final weight should come in around 540 grams or so. Badger? How does that stack up for finished mass? 62" NTN, 45#@26". 1 3/8" at the fades to 3/8" pin nocks. Maple backed ipe. 8" non-bending handle and riser.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2014, 09:35:52 pm »
Id say its a bit flat mid way on the right. Dang close though.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2014, 10:28:19 pm »
I think it looks awesome.  I agree with the right being a little flat a tiny tiny bit.  I don't know that I'd be very concerned about it though.  Like others have said that is being uber critical.... but then again I hesitate to even comment on that since I consider my skills still "grasshopper" status to your master level abilities. 

Can't wait to see it all finished up!  YEAH!

PS -

My dad was a woodshop teacher for 30 years (back when they still had woodshop).  His last year he lost the last digits of his pinky and ring fingers and the tip of his middle finger to a table saw.   wasn't his fault he was adjusting the blade and some kid turned the saw on by accident.  guess you could still argue it WAS his fault for not paying better attention but he had a good long run with out any incidents. 
Glad your thumb is still attached my friend!   I know that sucks.  Probably more embarrassing than anything.  I once sanded most of my finger nail off with a belt sander and took a lot of skin with it.  Man that hurt! 

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?