Author Topic: "Goldenleaf" Deflex Recurve Bow  (Read 14960 times)

Offline adb

Re: "Goldenleaf" Deflex Recurve Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 11:54:53 pm »
WOW! Amazing, and nicely tillered as well. Not just a pretty face in a fancy dress!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:01 am »
wow... just wow. that is one beautifully done gift sir. I cant wait until my son is old enough to have a good sized bow (and my skills to pick up)  :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 12:07:34 am »
Woah!  :o They just keep getting better and better. Your daughter will be blown away. You are an artist, sir.  8) I love the handle especially though all of it is amazing. What do you do to get the two different tones on the leather like that?

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 12:08:49 am »
  Wow, thats a beauty. I bet it shoots as good as it looks.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:22 am »
Super COOL Bow!  That's something your daughter will likely cherish forever Arrowind. Exceptional artistry and attention to detail as well as outstanding tiller. That lucky girl. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bow101

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 12:17:11 am »
A show piece and the tiller is spot on.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Adam

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 12:19:49 am »
That, sir, is one awesome bow!  I'm sure your daughter will always treasure that gift.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41:04 am »
You done it up just right for your daughter. She must be very happy and proud too!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 12:49:48 am »
Great job! Love it! 8). Nice to see a kid with a special something that they know they have the only one like it . Keep up the great work .
  B.O.M. contender for certain!

Offline adams89

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 01:50:34 am »
That's a piece of art and don't know any daughter which would not love this bow!

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 04:17:10 am »
Very nice work. Dig the elvish bows..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 08:24:20 am »
Lot's of time invested in that beauty.  Very nice work and I'm betting you and your daughter will both enjoy your time shooting together.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline half eye

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 08:46:45 am »
Only one problem I can see......how ya gonna get it away from her at bed-time ::) Very well done, sir!!!
rich

Offline Will H

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 10:01:48 am »
Really cool lookin bow there  fella! I'm sure she's gonna love that!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:06 am »
BOWMAN53, PeteC, hunterbob, Grady – Thanks!

JW_Halverson – hilarious!  Thanks man!

Zenmonkeyman – haha! Thanks!  Actually it is hard to compete with friends, cell phone, facebook, iPod, other personal electronics, her skateboard, and etc… at least she doesn’t have a boy friend! (that I know about!)

IdahoMatt, blacktailcody, vinemaplebows, adb, NeolithicMan -  Thanks!

Weylin –thanks bro!  I really appreciate it.  For the handle I used a paintbrush to brush on the dye in the parts I wanted dark.  You have to be careful because the dye wants to bleed so you need to start back from the edges and work your way too them.  The gold was also painted using the same acrylic metallic gold I used on the rest of the bow.   For that you get the part you want to paint a little damp so the water will draw the paint into the leather somewhat then you paint it how you want.  I should have done another coat as I noticed in the direct sun the paint is a little thin but it should be good enough. 

You can also just use dye.  In that case you follow the same procedure but you paint with dye rather than paint.  The problem with dye is that you can’t really use it to make the leather lighter in color so acrylic paint turns out to be a good option for that. 

I hope that answers your question.  Thanks again man!

Badger, Badly Bent, bow101, Adam, DuBois, lostarrow, adams89, Mohawk13 – Thanks!

SLIMBOB – Thanks!  Yes she is the one that goes with my brother and I when we take trips to the range.  I thought my 16 year old son would be more into archery but sadly he’s not.  But she loves it and I’m glad it gives us a special something that we can do together.  The other day she said “Let’s shoot at the same time!”
So we both held up our bows and she called out “Ready! Aim! Fire!” and we let arrows fly in unison… it was cool. Thanks again!

half eye – ha! Thanks rich.  The good thing is that it sits nice and  pretty on my bow rack so I can sneak a few shots when she’s not looking.

Will H – thanks!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?