2 (3.6%)
Wensel
11 (19.6%)
Grizzlies
7 (12.5%)
Ribtek
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Help me choose Broadheads  (Read 7791 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help me choose Broadheads
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 05:12:43 pm »
Gene, Check on TradGang. There was talk about increasing the weight of the Wensel's by adding lead to the socket.
  Woody, The Wensel 3 blade is the easiest head for me to sharpen. Just lay 2 blades at once on the stone or file, do one stroke and rotate to the next set of 2. After a few licks on each set they are sharp. I also like recut the very tip so it isn't as pointy but still sharp.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Glenn R.

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 08:20:31 pm »
You didn't mention zwickey 4-blade and assume it m ight be your concerned about poundage? and again maybe not. Just a little info and food for thought. I take 4-blade zwickeys and change the angle from just behind the main blade point making them very thin ans sharp! Leave extra meat at the point. On the fixed 'bleeders' I take a flat needle file and cross file them almost paper thin and razor sharp. Great blood trail!!!! By making them so thin, if they hit bone they can bend or rip back--not impeding penetration--if they hit flesh--what a hole. If I get one with mangled bleeders I remove them and use as a practice arrow. Anyway--just what I've come up with that I'm happy with--BUT-- I only hunt whitetail and turkey--so there's no heavy boned animals involved.  Just a thought on how you can manipulate a factory head.  :)

costicaldad

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 06:44:48 am »
i have used 125 ribtechs on goats 160 pigs and a mate droped a large water buff with 190's also good on pigs very easy to sharpen

woody

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 04:29:13 pm »
Gene, Check on TradGang. There was talk about increasing the weight of the Wensel's by adding lead to the socket.
  Woody, The Wensel 3 blade is the easiest head for me to sharpen. Just lay 2 blades at once on the stone or file, do one stroke and rotate to the next set of 2. After a few licks on each set they are sharp. I also like recut the very tip so it isn't as pointy but still sharp.    Pat

really?...that's what I've tried and have had minimal success with razor sharpness.  In frustration, I've pushed, pulled, and swirled the heads in all directons with different stones and can't figure out what's up.