Author Topic: Style versus Design versus....???...what  (Read 3961 times)

Offline adb

Re: Style versus Design versus....???...what
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »
To me, bows are tools. For every job, there is the proper tool. No one tool will do every job.

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 09:36:31 pm »
Do a Google search on what the western hemisphere is...then you'll know  :-X

Lol,  Ask Bryce, Gordon, Zion and a few others, they live just below me in Washington and Oregon.  But to be more specific how about the Pacific North West.    ;D

This is just a matter what style you prefer over most.
Is it the shape, feel, estetics, portability, weight, color or just been practical.

heres proof, i live in cali and cut this this weekend.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45172.0.html
[/quote]

Did not know Cali had any Osage.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 10:56:34 pm »
I just like makin bows.  Doesn't matter too much.  I haven't made enough to have a preference on design :).  Just like makin em and I'm going to keep makin em any way they want to be made.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:52 am »
I rarely start building a bow knowing what it will be. I let the wood direct me. There are design aspects I use that are the same like bulbous handles and rigid tips, straight, reflexed and recurved but it depends of the stave I've chosen, wood type and length...and character or straight and clean. Do I make a pyramid limb shape, semi-pyramid and to what degree. It all depends on the chosen stave for me. If a stave doesn't talk to me I set it aside and pick another. I'm fortunate enough to have a variety of seasoned staves o work with.
 I do purposely build a bow like my recent hickory backed lemonwood ALB but not that often. I did enjoy the process and the results but for me, I'd rather find the individual bow inside the individual stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 01:34:39 am »
I didn't know osage grew anywhere around here either  :o Doesn't matter, we got Ocean Spray...  8)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:16 am »
yep you can find that PNW grown osage alont the old railroad lines.

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 01:58:50 am »
I Like Hickory for its strength. I am with Pat..The stave or board will tell you what lies inside....You cant will a potato from a tomato plant...I do prefer the ALB...and that is what I tend to lean towards.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 05:11:44 am »
I believe that Osage was only native to Texas & Oklahoma. Was transplanted there on - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 07:55:52 am »
I'm about like PatB ,Get what the stave will give,I usually go into it with a plan of what I want but it rarely goes the way I plan, ??? for my personal bows I like 60-64 flat bow/stiff handle with narrow flipped tips, in the 45-50 range at my draw,seem's to work for me and what I really shoot the best. :) Shortie's are cool and I admire folks that can shoot the good,but I don't shoot them very well and longer bow become a problem for my hunting style even tho I love shooting them. :)Almost any wood will do for me but I do prefer Osage.  ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 07:56:47 am »
All the factors mentioned heavily influence my bows... osage allows me that freedom.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer