Author Topic: bow tip backing?  (Read 4888 times)

Offline echatham

Re: bow tip backing?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:07 pm »
you'll be shortening the limb, so it will make that limb stiffer, but only slightly so cause it looks like youre only shortening it a quarter inch or so.  id like to see the rest of the bow

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:47:07 pm »
lol I shall try,,my camera not any better than my bows an my pics aboout same as my bow building ability.. but  here's a couple..its basically 54" long by 1 1/2"  wide at center,,an fat back rounded belly  an if you can see the curve in it...it strings opposite way,,

A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline echatham

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 09:36:49 pm »
doesn't look to shabby.  the other tip... is that grooved in the back as well or just the sides?

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:14 pm »
the other end is just the sides..easy to overlay too...if I can save this thing...I'm jus not that educated on these  things, not sure what happens when ya change things..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline echatham

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:12 pm »
Why do you want to overlay it?

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:13 pm »
just the tip,the bow is pretty thin,,jus figured it'd be better?
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline echatham

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:18 pm »
The first tip you showed us... Is that how you got it from the bowyer?  And i guess what im wondering is is this a bow that has been shot alot.... Or is it some guy churning out bows and selling them on ebay.  If it was sold as a working bow im just wondering why you'd want to go and change things.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »
well...it was a ebay bow by a guy who offers often......never could see the knot in the pics. an couldn't return the bow..has less than 100 shots thru it..my friend who shoots bow lots, suggested doin overlays,,but, never seen the bow unstrung, so never seen the notched back string nock..
it actually don't shoot bad, needs a grip/riser of sorts. I have 27" draw,,,an this is 45lb draw..thought be good for deer too..now I'm jus not sure what to do..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 01:03:13 am »
Tip overlays can be pretty easy just get the surface flat and glue some wood on ( try superglue) any change in draw weight or length will be minor. And I would generally recommend you don't buy wood bows off eBay many of the ones I have seen there have been accompanied by lots of language not allowed on this site on my part.
I like free stuff.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 06:52:53 am »
I would just flaten the tip,knot and all and glue on an overlay,just be sure the overlay goes passed where you flaten the knot to good wood. :) Their's a hundred
way to skin a cat but that's what I would do.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 07:27:44 am »
well..don't make a habit of buying  bows of ebay,, seems many bows offered  are  "Vintage"..lol ... or "have no cracks or breaks"  I don't have money to waste, I jus got this one because I broke one an was bowless,,an it was reasonable.. 
thinkin trying string at knot,,then,if that don't work,I'll try filing it down  see what is knot left...an maybe put backing on ends..sure do Appreciate all your time an help!  will let you know what happens..guess time to start lookin for a bow..although, I have 4 ironwood trees split in the cellar....boy,theres a plan  lol
thank you!
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:46 am »
I see you are from upstate NY. where abouts, I have several friends from up state NY that would be glad to help you ,if you are close enough. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 10:16:33 am »
seems I'm at least 15 miles from anywhere,,which ain't all bad,,lol..so Cooperstown, Herkimer, Canajoharie,,all 15 away....not really near anyplace big,,also a good thing...Albany 75 Binghamton 150..Syracuse 150+...
Iknow a few gents that do bows but all long drive from me..I'm jus gonna try  what we all talked about,,see where it leads..an always can convert the hornbeam to a bow,,or firewood..or kindlin..got nothin to lose there  lol  thanks!!
..Upstate N.Y.