Author Topic: Advice for a Take Down Self Bow  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Advice for a Take Down Self Bow
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:20:14 pm »
Hey PA group, I've cut a pretty fair amount of hickory that I cut last year and I wanted to try something different, a 2 piece take down bow. Just something that I can fit in my back pack for TEOTWAKI or just a weekend trip. I've always liked the look of a sleeve style take down but and I think it is finally time for me to make one. However, before I start, I have a few questions that might help me avoid some heart ache. Any answers are appreciated.

I've read some poor reviews from the 3 Rivers TD bow handles, are they okay?

Are there other sources with better TD handles?

Is it better to make them yourself, if so can you post a link to a tutorial?

Is there any other advice that you wish you had heard before you made your TD bow or any lessons you've learned in the past from TD bows?

Thanks all!
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
Re: Advice for a Take Down Self Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 05:10:15 pm »
I've only made three  take down bows. They were made with the d-style handle that looks similar to the one sold by three rivers. I'm not sure if they were made by the same company tho. I was happy with the way they turned out.
Wish I would of had my belt sander when I made them. They fit together fine before I glued them to wood. I guess osmosis kicked in or sumpthin. Had to do a lot of hand sanding and do-moring to get them to go back together. It would have been much easier with my new belt sander.
Also made one with a henge thingy. I think it was advertised on PA many moons ago. Don't think they make it anymore however.
If you want to get real fancy, you might try one of the 'joints' that are used on 2-piece laminated bows.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:16:49 pm by Bogaman »

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:37 pm »
get one from carson @ echo archery, his are made by the original maker and work good, pappy did a how to on a t/d sleeve
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »
get one from carson @ echo archery, his are made by the original maker and work good

+1

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:52 pm »
When you say original maker, is that the St. Charles family?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:27:09 pm »
get one from carson @ echo archery, his are made by the original maker and work good

+1

+2

Clatskanie, Oregon