Author Topic: What wood is this?  (Read 3846 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: What wood is this?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:42 am »
Maybe Basswood, here's a pic of a basswood round from a hobby shop...And it's bark...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:14:40 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:40 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't basswood highly desirable wood for woodcarvers?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 02:40:41 pm »
Is there any test for me to see if it is basswood or red maple? If it is basswood I don't want to put any more work into it. If it is red maple, is that worth making a bow out of?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 03:30:37 pm »
Thank you for reading my previous post :)
That tree looks like either a maple (I'm not sure which species) or basswood. They are easy to tell apart, but not once they are cut based on pictures alone. The smell of both woods is very different. Easiest for you to ID it is by looking at the buds. If the buds are opposite, it will be a maple. If the buds are alternate, it will be basswood. "Opposite/alternate" is probably again new terminology for you, so that is why you need a tree or woodworking book and do your homework.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Frodolf

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 06:17:31 pm »
I'm pretty sure the inner bark of basswood should be stringy and pulls off easily in strips. The ease probably depend on time of harvest, though – winter should make it harder. But none the less the texture of the inner bark should give you a clue whether it's basswood or not. I think.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 12:15:24 am »
I was thinking cottonwood at first glance too.