Author Topic: What is achery to you?  (Read 6983 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: What is achery to you?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 05:07:29 pm »
A connection to my ancestors on both sides of the Atlantic. 
A most rewarding experience that takes away the stress of the day. 
A reassurance that when the grid goes down, the economy fails, and the store bought, throw away gadgets are gone, I will still have a means to feed my family - assuming that we all have the good sense to protect some of our wild places and the critters that live there. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 10:52:49 am »
Bowhunting.  The stalk, or the ambush.  Alone in the woods.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 07:08:48 pm »
my life is always full of things to do. i wake up go to work, come home, play with kids, make dinner then go to bed. but on the week ends i wake up early go outside with my bow and a few arrows, and have complete control of everything i do. i only have to focus on one thing, hitting my target.  its the one time when nothing else matters. its my escape.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 03:04:20 am »
It started for me as a way to hide from an angry alcoholic father. Grab my bow and arrows and go hide in the woods. As an adult it was a way to unwind after a hard day playing Army...These days it has become almost spiritual. I make more things for people than for Myself. I try and pass on the history of Archery and early Man,,

And then there is that quiet time at day break or dusk when a Deer, Elk, Bear or Moose steps out, The arrow is released, and strikes true. Just knowing I can feed My family by My own hand is gratifying . The Hunter/Gatherer is still alive and well within Me....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »
There is that idea of" the fruit of the poisoned tree"....your roots in archery came from something dark, but you found a way to filter out the bad and turn it into something good.  One cannot overestimate the power of a redemptive spirit in a person.  Some call it making lemonade from lemons, but you and I both know there is more to it than just that.   ;)

Keep passing It along, Mohawk. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 09:11:22 am »
Challenge and serenity.

I love all kinds of challenge, whether its a new hobby like rock climbing or archery, or just some task that's difficult because of fear or lack of skill. Primitive archery holds plenty of challenges, both in building and shooting, and I know I'll never run out of challenge or stop improving because I can always be better. I also like the calmness that shooting brings. Even though there is a good deal of strength involved in drawing some bows, I can still do it "mindlessly" and just point at my target and my mind institutionally tells my hand where to go for the arrow to hit where I am aiming. And it works. Its a pretty great feeling.

Plus primitive archery is just really cool.  ;)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."