Author Topic: Heat/steam corrections  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Accipiter

Heat/steam corrections
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:14:26 pm »
Anyone got tips on removing deflex from one limb? I have a decent roughed out stave, but while limb has a nice slight reflex, the other has 4" of deflex! Will steam followed by a belly toasting take out some of that deflex? Is it possible to tiller a bow this uneven?

Also, any tips for steaming handle alignment? Right now, its roughed out to about 1"x1." Could I use weights to bend the handle or is a clamp jig necessary to bend wood this thick?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Heat/steam corrections
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:18:40 pm »
Nice looking start you got there, what kind of wood is it and do you have a caul?  A caul and some dry heat would get you there.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:25:30 pm »
DBar, I don't have a caul, but I can probably fashion something. The stave is from something called 7-sons tree. Its an ornamental from China that happened to be in friendly neighbors yard. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=k450 Never used it before but it seems to be decent, except for that deflex!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:13:32 am »
Accipiter, As DBar said dry heat will reflex that lower limb to match the other...Looks like just one bend right below the fade will do it. You can also steam that section on the stove covered in tinfoil. I seen Rich "halfeye" use a towel and bend one area over his knee after steaming in one of his builds...I believe it's in the How To Section? You wanting to bend the handle because of string tracking? I like to line mine tips up before tiller but sometimes it will change at brace...Nice looking bow and like the character...
                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:22 am »
  I went back and put a straight edge on my screen from tip to tip and seen the string would be off the handle as is. Maybe brace it and see what correction needs to be done...With the character in those limbs it may line up or could be worse...Bend that sucker >:D
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:32:42 am »
Id suggest heating that 4-5" up right at the swoop with a 1/2" spacer under it for over bend, back down of course. Then then just clamp it down with that 1/2" over bend. It'll be flat just like the other end and will take about 3-4 minutes total.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »
Don, I did the same thing with the line - not pretty! I'll have to see what happens when I string it up though.
Pearly, that seem like a solid plan, I'll try that today and see where that gets me.
Thanks!