Author Topic: enhanced andaman  (Read 2846 times)

Offline ohma2

enhanced andaman
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »
this is a enhanced Andaman ive been working on it 60" 45# @28" rock maple backed walnut opinions welcome.

Offline Badger

Re: enhanced andaman
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:44:35 pm »
   Good job on that. Tim Baker refers to these as eifel tower pyramids. They are good shooters and simple designs. Glad you kept that walnut wide, looks like it handled the design pretty well. Should be a good shooter.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 01:50:41 pm »
steve do you think It needs the levers taken down some? I haven't shot it any yet its 3" wide and say 3/16 at the tips.anything you would sugest would be appreciated.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:33:15 pm »
Looks great!I've been on that design kick lately,they shoot great!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:54:47 pm »
  Walnut is pretty light wood, I don't think you would need to reduce the levers anymore.  I might reduce the thickness of the levers just a bit but I think the width is fine.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »
I would definitely reduce thickness of the levers.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:25:52 pm »
That looks great, very fast looking.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:18:37 pm »
Just came back and had another look. I really like this bow and it's design. I haven't made one this extreme, but I remember reading somewhere how fast these bows are. I think you've tillered it very well, and the only thing I'd do is just slightly reduce the thickness of the levers right at the top of the working limbs. If it has no handshock, I wouldn't bother.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:55:25 pm »
sweet!  ;)  I'm guessing andaman refers to the style?  It's from the andaman islands?  There are primitive archers on north sentinel island still living primitively.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »
Yes it's surprising how little 'extra' thickness you need to keep them stiff. I think you could reduce them a little. My only comment on the tiller would be that maybe with that width profile you could have got a little more bend out of the fades. Where did it take set? 

Offline ohma2

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »
primitive tim the bow is south Andaman version I guess they are india aborignies cant imagine making one out of dense palm with a hatchet and bores tooth.i would like to see it bend a little more in the fades but im just about out of wood there and I don't want to narrow the fades any.it hasn't taken hardly any set It has been worked hard to weight and draw length on rope and pulley but not shot yet.thanks for input guys ill get it finished up and post some more pics.