Author Topic: Uses for a downed tree  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Matt B

Uses for a downed tree
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:44:54 pm »
So we recently had a massive maple cut down in our backyard that had been heavily damaged during the ice storm late last year, and I'm looking for some cool ideas of things to do or make with the massive logs that we've ended up with.

I'm pretty sure its a silver maple, or was. Firewood is obviously a big use for it but some of these logs are probably 3' in diameter. I'd like to use a couple for something, and would like to practice some carving/whittling.

I've though of a few ideas. I could probably make some kind of round table, maybe a bowl, plate, utensils, but those aren't that big. I'm amazed at the size of these logs, tree has been there since I've been alive and never really considered the size of the thing.

Anyways, any ideas at all will be helpful, just trying to practice skills and have some fun! Here's some pics of it.

Offline stickbender

Re: Uses for a downed tree
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:07:55 pm »

Well, ......... I think you should have left them in a bit longer form, then after they had seasoned for a couple of years, you could have made nifty end tables, or coffee tables, clocks, and such, but I think they will check pretty badly now.  Might get some hawk handles, and knife handles, and maybe salvage some carving blocks.  Some bowls maybe.  Could have possibly been used for a core for a laminate bow.  I don't know if Silver maple would be good for that or not.  At any rate, good luck with it, it was mighty fine old tree.  Try to do it justice for surviving this long. ;)  Just think of the history it has seen. ;) 8)  OK, at least was around in all kinds of history. ::) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Matt B

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:13:05 pm »
Yeah, it is actually in my parents backyard and they had an arbor come and take it down today. If I had've known they gave them instructions to cut the pieces at 14" lengths, I would've told them to make a few longer, but too late for that. Oh well, it was sad to see such an old wise tree go anyways  ;D

Didn't really thing about the checking though, is there a way I could maybe try to reduce that if I did try and save a piece or two for a table or something? Or do you think there's no real point because they're too small?

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:51:03 pm »
Google "How it's made wooden bowls" It shows how it's done commercially. What I found interesting is they do the roughing out green, then steam it.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:28:00 pm »
I think I saw some thin bigger diameter ones in there. Those work good for knife and hawk throwing rounds.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:34:34 pm »
Campfire stools ???????????????
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:45:38 pm »
campfire stools and campfire.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt B

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 03:57:58 pm »
I'll look up how the bowls are made right now. Campfire stools, campfire, and knife/hawk throwing rounds, sounds like a good time to me. I've always wanted to get good at hawk and knife throwing.

I'm moving to the country in the next year or two, I could probably make a couple planters too.

Offline Tom Kurth

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
That indeed looks like silver maple. Assuming it is, it would probably be pretty tough for carving as it grows with a spiral twist and inter-locking grain. We had a fireplace when I was a kid and I can assure it was no fun trying to split some windfall from the silver maple out back of the house. Target rounds and campfire stools sound like the best ideas for the big ones.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri