Author Topic: Fry Bread Sunday  (Read 2185 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Fry Bread Sunday
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:34:15 pm »
So I got up on Sunday mornin, time change and all, slept til 8:00!! And decided to try my hand at some fry bread. I had a recipe from a Native American calender so I got it out and gave it a shot. Decided that since it was breakfast we would make some sweet ones and powdered them with sugar and cinnamon. Don't know why we didn't use the fresh maple syrup, but we didn't.  ??? Anywho, as I was making these I saw all sorts or possibilities, so for dinner I made some more dough and cooked up some onion, venison burger, left over rice, left over swiss chard and brusselsprouts and a hand full of orange peppers. The kids weren't going to eat this, so I made both of them a hamburger.(cheese and ketchup/mustard added before crimping) Rolled out the dough and filled with selected warm meat and sealed like a pie. Tossed in hot oil for like two minutes, turning once when golden brown and they were ready to eat after a little cooling. I started making the dough at 4:50, cooked the meat, made five stuffs and we were all done eating by 6:10. I saved one back for lunch today to see how it took to time and it was perfect at 1:00 today. I think these would last a few days in cool temps for hunting or backpacking or day hiking or conoeing or....the list is as endless and the ingredients that can go inside. Next I'm gonna try pulled chicken with salt and lime and some salsa or filled with BACON! I'm thinking of trying some baked instead of fryed to see the difference. After making them I could call them several different names, calzone, parogee(sp.), etc. So they ain't nothin new, cept to me makin um and I'm happy I finally am. Thanks for lookin, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ozzy

Re: Fry Bread Sunday
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:32 pm »
Yum Derik
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:49:23 pm »
Gaaaah! Torture!  It's been over 10 hours since breakfast and I am dying for one of those "gooder burgers". (Welcome to Gooder Burger, home of the Gooder Burger, have a gooder!)

There is no limit to what you can do in those.  Replace about half of the wheat flour with rye flour and stuff with pastrami, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing.  Now your Rueben is even gooder!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:22 pm »

Rats, I just finished eating, and now I am hungry again! :P  Love that Swiss chard.  Love kale, collards, spinich, and India spinich, and mustard.  If you have any thyroid problems, stay away from kale, as it has a natural ingredient, that interferes with the thyroid production.  I see you are a PBR man also.  I knew there was some sort of kindred spirit with you. ;) ;D

Wayne

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58:07 pm »
Thanks Ozzy.

Jw, That sounds tasty, I also thought of a brat sliced longways w/ kraut and hot mustard. Or peanutbutter and jelly/honey.

Wayne, I love all them greens. Ain;t never heard that about kale. It's one of our faves, have it once or twice a week steamed. I use vinegar, she uses lemon juice. And yes Wayne, I am a PBR man.  ;) ;D Although, shhhh, Sterling is being brewed here in bloomington now and they have it in tall boys w/ full pull tab tops in four packs. Kinda spendy but it reminds me of
the 70's.

Have a gooder...burger...dpgratz  ::)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 07:02:57 am »
Hoosier meat pie right there! Looks good Derik!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 08:28:08 pm »
  Ok you win!!  I bow my head,,,,,,,,,,,,,yep  you win.  JeffW