Author Topic: Starting on my first bendy (Update, more pics of progress)  (Read 9848 times)

blackhawk

Re: Starting on my first bendy
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 10:16:46 am »
Slow down...your moving faster than your usual pace  :laugh: ...don't forget to stop n pick up some chicken for Clint at moon tree  :laugh:

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 10:24:15 am »
Slow down...your moving faster than your usual pace  :laugh: ...don't forget to stop n pick up some chicken for Clint at moon tree  :laugh:
Ha! Hopefully I will have it done soon.  Kinda anxious to see what the boa skins will look like on it.  Dave already has Clint a chicken sammich set up in the window fermenting. :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:41 am »
Lets see some pictures of that thing bending Greg.

You are going to miss out on all the fun this year BH.  And you are going to miss out on the little something special I'm bringing 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:07 pm »
Are you doing the sinew at moontree? Can't wait to see it next week

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:48 pm »
I hope to sinew it at Moon Tree if I have it ready.  I wont get much time until this weekend to work on it.  It's got me worried to be honest. :-\

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 06:09:49 pm »
That darn Clint reminded us again, of the surprise,  what do you think of that Greg?  And he won't let us guess...  :(
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 09:02:59 pm »
I've only made 2 bend in the handle bows and so far they are IMO the best performers I've made. I used to Hate bendy handle bows. Even we old dogs have the opportunity to change our minds from time to time though we have to eat some crow when we finally accept it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 09:07:08 pm »
I used to Hate bendy handle bows. Even we old dogs have the opportunity to change our minds from time to time though we have to eat some crow when we finally accept it.

I'm learning Fred, it comes with age.   ;) :)
DBar

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »
Looks like your getting that one in good shape Greg. A sinew backed osage bendy at that length with the flipped tips could be a real good shooter I bet.
 I've been working on a osage bendy for a few weeks and will be shooting it in this weekend. Unbacked but with some of the woop de doos, twist, knots and side bends issues that are frustrating to try to work thru. Helped me to work on it just a little bit each day then take it home and just look at it quite a bit each night. I have a bad habit of getting an area to thin on one edge or the other and not noticing until the damage is done. If I examine it often at a time when I know I don't have a scraper handy it gives me time to think before I rush ahead and make a mistake.  :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 12:46:13 am »

I have a bad habit of getting an area to thin on one edge or the other and not noticing until the damage is done. If I examine it often at a time when I know I don't have a scraper handy it gives me time to think before I rush ahead and make a mistake.  :)

Great advice Greg.  I have that same problem

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 07:47:46 am »
One issue with this one is that the humps seem to switch sides as they go up the limb.  I had to break out the calipers and keep a check on both sides.  Just don't trust my fingers when gauging thickness on this one.  I worked on this a few minutes last night, and have it to full brace, but have work to do before I go any farther.  The outer third of my bottom limb just wont bend!  I scraped and scraped on it.  Just have to be patient and try not to end up with a kid's bow.  I'll post pics when I get it evened out at brace.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 06:49:52 pm »

URL=http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Gsulfridge/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140322_151408_zpsrvzqd1tw.jpg.html][/URL]
Here's the latest photos. Finally got it to brace and the bottom limb kept giving me grief. Late yesterday I got it bending enough to go ahead and apply the sinew.  Now, we wait.  .  .  .

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 06:59:48 pm »
I know it needs more work in the handle area (still stiff) and some minor tweaking on the limbs. I can't capture in photos all the waves, humps and bumps to show areas that are bending and dont look like in pics. Open to any and all suggestions and criticisms. 

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 07:06:44 pm »
Loogin good man!  We'll have to see how it looks after the sinew dries but here some observations.  Looks like the handle area and above it 4 inches are stiff, but not below it.  The mid to outter lower limb could bend a bit more.  Now the hard part, the waiting...
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »
Looking good Greg,  make sure you put plenty of reflex in it when you sinew it.
DBar
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:56:25 pm by Danzn Bar »