Author Topic: primitive smoker  (Read 6211 times)

Offline Renacs

primitive smoker
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:39:38 pm »
Im want to make a primitive (homemade) smoker. Any ideals or pics would be great

Offline bow101

Re: primitive smoker
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:42:56 pm »
Don't know of any but if you: YouTube your search I'm sure you will come up with quite a few.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:35:15 pm »
bark covered tripod
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:19:40 pm »
My great grandfather used an old metal inside refrigerator. he took out the motor so he could put in a heat source, cut a hole in the bottom for the smoke to travel up into the fridge. You could use two barrels either side by side or over under attached by a piece of stove pipe. expanded metal grate for the "grill" in one side and the other for the fire/smoke box. 

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
I've seen several great home made smokers from old fridges. My uncle made one, and it works really good. Not primitive mind you, but cheap and effective.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 03:08:27 pm »
yep those old fridges work great, but make sure if ya use one that it is kept locked, don't want a kid to get trapped in it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:33:48 pm »
Not primitive but worth looking at to get some ideas. I'll be working on my version this Spring.
http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-smoker-combination-grill-smoker/big-poppas-drum-smoker-kit
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 10:54:40 pm »
This doesn't seem to have been done much.  The concept is pretty simple and I'm not sure it would have to be like this.  Any small hut with a smokey fire in it should work.  This seems to be the most common smokehouse concept with a separate chamber for the smoke.  I guess the separate chamber was for safety but I feel like it would be doable to make a small tunnel for the chamber depending on the type of soil you're in.  Just experiment and learn.  Then you'll have that experience and knowledge for the next guy that wants to know.  ;)

I can't imagine these dimensions actually matter.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Renacs

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:03:03 pm »
Thanks for the ideas. Once the snow melts, a smoker will be my next project.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »
You can make them out of about anything. I made my last one I hope, it's 4 x 4 prob 6' tall, above two & 1/2 blocks, with two screens in it about eye level. I used  fire brick on the floor for a fire inside the house. I made mine tall in case I wanted to smoke sausage. I framed it with 2x4's sheeted it with cull cedar boards from a local mill. I have smoked all kinds of meat in it. I can take some picture but still having trouble resizing them.
you can also make the fire pit outside of the house & pipe smoke in for cold smoking. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 03:46:00 pm »
Renacs. I'm having trouble posting pictures to PA, I got some on my facebook page here is a link to my album it has pic's of my smoke house. Hope this works for you. Ed

https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781/media_set?set=a.1110205723508.2016665.1477805874&type=3
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 01:11:16 am »
Top side of an old out house works just fine...Make sure to have moved it before using as a smoker...Or You meat will taste like.......Well, You know...Used one for years when I was a kid...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 11:31:12 am »
Renacs. I'm having trouble posting pictures to PA, I got some on my facebook page here is a link to my album it has pic's of my smoke house. Hope this works for you. Ed

https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781/media_set?set=a.1110205723508.2016665.1477805874&type=3
here are a couple pics of my smoker, it's nothing more than an old out house build, hope you enjoy. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:35 am »
Nice Ed! I like that. I have  built them out of 50 gallon drums and fuel oil containers. I'm building one now out of a fuel oil container w/ a 50 gallon drum for the fire box. Gonna be awhile til it;s done though. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)