Author Topic: Managing Thuja occidentalis stands for arrows  (Read 1510 times)

Offline broadwing

Managing Thuja occidentalis stands for arrows
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:40 pm »
Greetings,
Does anyone have any experience tending Thuja occidentalis stands/groves to harvest new shoots for arrows shafts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Managing Thuja occidentalis stands for arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:08:40 pm »
I don't think you'll find shoots suitable for arrows. You will probably have to split stock from a log and make arrows from the splits.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline broadwing

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:10:28 pm »
Thanks Pat. New to it all. Do you know of any other wood that would be suitable for harvesting shoots (in the Northeast states) for arrows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:14:34 pm »
Red osier dogwood, serviceberry, hazelnut. These are multi stemmed shrubs or small trees.  At this time of year the young stems of red osier are red(it grows in wet or damp areas), the serviceberry will be one of the first native trees or shrub(which ever it is) to flower with small white star shaped flowers and the hazelnut should have tan tassels hanging from them this time of year, but don't mistake it for tag alder with tassels a bit darker in color.
 There are probably others if you can be more specific about where you live.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:00:13 am »
I harvest witch hazel, maple, and sometime ash shoots. Dog wood is a bit more of a trip to gather in my specific area. witch hazel seems to be the most prevalent in my woods. Most need a good amount of straightening but I like the look and feel of them. Im in NY, so theres one northeastern states info.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!