Author Topic: 22 ammo  (Read 5469 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: 22 ammo
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:38:33 pm »
IMHO it is the hoarders causing the high prices.  They are wiling to pay what ever price the seller sets just to have the ammo.

I agree.  I am not shooting too much these days and I already own enough ammo to do what I need to do for the next 10 years.  I refuse to pay that much for a box of .22 shells that used to cost under a 1.00!  I will buy up a little more ammo one of these days when the atmosphere changes and the pendulum swings back the other way.  I do feel sorry for the folks with young 'uns they are trying to teach to shoot and for the new shooters who are in the enthusiastic stage who like to burn lots of powder.  I wish y'all could have known what it was like when I was a kid.  Fifty rounds of .22 was 97 cents at the hardware store and a box of low brass shotgun shells was maybe 2.50 dollars for a box of 25.  We thought nothing of spending the day shooting tin cans - it just didn't cost that much.  Of course, we also "went riding around" just for fun - gasoline didn't cost much either.  Now we are all complaining on the internet about how things used to be......  Oh well.  :(         
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 09:54:15 am »
When I was a kid in the 50s, the local mom and pop tackle shop would sell you as many individual bullets or shotgun shells as you could afford. I don't remember the price but seems like you could get about 5, 22 bullets for a dime and 3 shotgun shells for a quarter. I only made about 50 cents a week off my paper route so this way of buying bullets was just right for me. I could buy a coke, a candy bar and a pocket full of bullets for my 50 cent wage.

Different time; I could buy bullets at any age, a gun as well. We often took our rifles to school with us, left them in the principals office until school was out and then went squirrel hunting.

I never heard of anyone shooting anyone else for any reason during my entire early life, toddler to teenager.

Now they are suspending kids from school if they point their finger like a gun and then charge them with brandishing a class 2 simulated firearm, insane.......
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:02:42 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 10:18:24 am »
I know you have to buy .22 rim-fire but I'm just surprised that there are so few people that reload their own center-fire.  I've been reloading for more than 40 years and will never have to buy center-fire amo for the rest of my life.  As too .22, I have several thousand rounds and won't have to buy any of that either
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 01:05:12 pm »
Eric, I remember those days, also. The bait store near the house would always keep an open box of .410 and .20 gauge shells. Three empty coke bottles got you a 410 shell.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »
Well, during the whole ammo buying craze, the "small game meat-maker" (12 gauge #6 shot) never went up in price here. Everyone was stockpiling .223, 7x62x39mm, and .308 like we were fixin' to get invaded by some major army. Places were sold out. Some people were thinking they'd hunt elk and deer if the country collapsed or some dang thing. Well, 12 gauge #6 is what's going to make meat. The deer and elk would be hunted out in two months if the country fell apart. The meat would be rabbit, jackrabbit, raccoons, feral dogs and cats, and so on. No one thinks about that. They all think deer and elk. Really, raccoon meat makes more sense. Many of the "gettin' ready for the end of society" folks haven't even hunted. Never skinned and gutted. So, how are they going to prepare that meat, assuming the situation happened?

Not to take it too far, but if America did collapse, they'll have a lot of unforeseen variables. Shoot, this state would just up and form itself into a new country. It already wants to. Texas would, too. That's exactly what would happen. States or groups of them would just reorganize as new countries. They've all got National Guard assets plus whatever federal assets existed there and could be seized. Oh, there'd be some bickering and squabbles as every new country shook itself out and figured out what they were going to do. Maybe Arizona would cut off California's access to the Colorado River water until concessions were made on how it was going to be paid for. But the whole shebang ain't going to fall apart and disintegrate into little fiefdoms the size of a town. Not with all those tanks and choppers each state has got in National Guard inventory. A state governor isn't going to pass up the chance to be a king of queen. Our governor here would leap at the opportunity. In fact, we have a state law that says she can raise her own army if she declares a "state emergency".   
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »
Wow....  America isn't finished by a damn sight and the world isn't coming to an end.  We are just getting warmed up.  I wish people would relax their sphincters so I could buy some .22s,  but I will be okay without them for a while... ;D  Come to think of it, I am making ten times as much money as I did back then.  Maybe it was time for a little price hike.  How's that for playing devil's advocate?   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 11:41:41 am »
That's what I tell folks Howard,I remember when gas was .23 cents a gal.but I was working on a farm for 5.00 a day, 6am till 6pm ya gas is higher now but I make a little more than 5 a day,to me in most cases it all equals out.  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wiley

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
I don't expect the price to get better any time soon. I would like to have like 10-20 thousand rounds and just not have to worry about it for a good long time, not in any desire to hoard it just buying a bunch before the price goes any higher. The shortage makes me pretty happy to own a Henry lever action. I can shoot 22 shorts, long, long rifle with it, so I can usually find ammo when I run short. 

Would really like to have myself a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Not much more expensive to shoot than a rimfire, but very adequate for any sort of rifle hunting or target shooting around here I desire. Short, light, cheap to shoot, made by a quality company. Everything I want in a rifle.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 04:02:48 pm »
Well, look on the bright side. We shoot bows and that "ammo" is reusable.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 09:57:22 am »
I am not a survivalist but do have certain "skills" to help me get past a national crisis. I know how to commercial fish (live 1/3 of a mile from Wilson Lake), I have stock pile of commercial snares, steel traps and keep a 300 ft, new, never in the water trot line complete with jump box"just in case". I am thinking about acquiring some dog proof coon traps to add to my stockpile as coons are thick a flies around the house.

The big problem will be keeping less skilled city dwellers from putting you over a spit and having you for dinner, it will happen when hunger starts driving people crazy.

If you can make it 3 weeks you will probably be in the clear as the rest will have fallen by the wayside.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 02:22:18 am »
Survival skills...well, I've got plenty of arrows and I know where all my neighbor's dogs are.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 03:19:04 am »
I'm with Marc on the reloading thing.  IMO .38/.357 is the new .22 caliber. I can reload for about $.20 a shell, depending if I can get 10 reloads per brass.  So far so good. When I settle into the style of bullet I want, I'll start casting my own lead bullets and that will reduce to cost even more.  I checked some online prices of .22's the other day.  They seem to range from $.12 a piece for cheapies to $.15-.18 for shells I'd hunt with, to nearly $.25 for premium shells.

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk last fall and quickly realized I needed to start reloading.  I could find .38's or .357's fairly often, but they were rarely a style of shell that I wanted.  I had a Redding press in my attic that's been there for 25 years unused.  So it was time.

In January, I bought a Rossi lever action in .38/,357.  With target loads it has not much more kick than a .22.  Even with heavier hunting loads, it's kick in no more than my .243, probably less.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw