Author Topic: is it bad for the bow when the arrow kinda falls off to the left of your bow?  (Read 4453 times)

Offline mattd

i made a few arrows out of birch shafting, but when i shot my new warbow for the first time the arrow kinda said "mneh" and fell off to the left and cut my face. i dont really care about my face but i was worried about my bow. no cracks or anything so i'm just wondering if that counts as a dry fire?

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Well if the bow was left handed and it fell to the left, that means your bow is broke  ;D    but I'm assuming it's right handed ;) so my best guess is that your arrow slipped off the bow string just before you released, was the arrow knock busted after the shot? So Ya that's pretty much a missfire
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline mattd

its a english warbow.  like i said i made them, i suspect my nock was to wide for the string, i really have no clue what i'm doing. i can shoot but as far as making stuff i'm very very very inexperienced. it happened twice. but no cracks or anything like that in the bow so i'm guessing its ok? or do i have to worry for the rest of the bows life that something inside is all kinds of screwy now? its 107lbs at 32 inches.

Offline TRACY

Build up the string serving at the nock point and check for a secure fit with the arrows you plan to shoot with the bow UNSTRUNG. Sounds like you should have tried lower poundage/smaller bow first and then worked up to the war bow, especially if you have no clue. Safety brother ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
KD asked if your nocks busted. Did they? Make sure you have wrapping around the shaft right below the arrow nock. Did you hold the arrow w/ your left index finger as you drew the bow and by doing so, unstrung the arrow in the process? I've seen that happen before. And, as far I as I tell, yes it was a dry fire.  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

IF you are right handed shooting a bow.  AND IF the arrow is falling to the left off your knuckle..

THEN you are curling your right hand fingers inward as you draw.  It is twisting the string to the left and likewise the arrow is being pushed off the shelf/knuckles. It takes some confidence to start to draw and actually "open" the curl of your fingers slightly to encourage the arrow to stay in place.

Try starting with your fingers a little deeper on the string, maybe even as deep as the first joint.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JEB

Pinch your nocks between your two fingers just enough to hold the arrow on when you draw back but not so much that the arrow wants to flop off the rest and to the left.  Sounds like your nock openings are way too big.  As mentioned build up your serving and maybe make your nocks a little deeper into the shaft.

To answer your question,  Your bow can break if you dry fire it.

Offline toomanyknots

To answer your question,  Your bow can break if you dry fire it.

Damn straight. And make sure your arrows are heavy enough to shoot with a 107 pound bow. Shooting light weight arrows with a heavy weight warbow basically is dry firing. What spine are the arrows, and how heavy are they in grains? What is the diameter and length of the shaft?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline mattd

nah the knocks didnt bust, the arrows are unspined 10mm birch with a long needle bodkin. the bowyer said i didnt need to worry about what they spined for just said 3/8ths is a bit light but ok, 1/2 inch is a bit heavy but ok said that 10mm should be just about right..

Offline toomanyknots

nah the knocks didnt bust, the arrows are unspined 10mm birch with a long needle bodkin. the bowyer said i didnt need to worry about what they spined for just said 3/8ths is a bit light but ok, 1/2 inch is a bit heavy but ok said that 10mm should be just about right..

Sounds fine to me, I was just worried as sometimes people will shoot lighter arrows with heavier bows. I'm sure the arrows are fine for that bow, being over 3/8 and with the bodkin which typically the machined bodkins you find start out at 190 - 200 grains, so I figure your good to go. I would guess JW might be on point. I don't know how you cut your face though, other than a miss fire sent the arrow back at you somehow? I think I am kinda confused.  :o You might try a heavier point if it is going to the left due to spine, which would mean it is too strong for the bow. If you under draw the arrow it can seem like it is stiffer spine than it is too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
There's an easy fix if your arrow nocks are too big.  Just get some masking tape and wrap around the string till you get the right diameter
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mattd

it fell off as i released the arrow, spun around and the needle bodkin cut my cheek. coulda been much much much worst. the masking tape idea is great, i dont know how i didnt think of that. long as my bow doesnt have internal cracks that will just grow and grow i'm happy.  i paid way to much for that thing to break it cause i'm stupid,.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
That happened to me once. But it was a 30# bow with a field point. Arrow slipped off the string and when I fired, it spun it around close my face. But with a warbow with bodkins-   Yikes man! Be careful,

Offline bow101

IF you are right handed shooting a bow.  AND IF the arrow is falling to the left off your knuckle..

THEN you are curling your right hand fingers inward as you draw.  It is twisting the string to the left and likewise the arrow is being pushed off the shelf/knuckles. It takes some confidence to start to draw and actually "open" the curl of your fingers slightly to encourage the arrow to stay in place.

Try starting with your fingers a little deeper on the string, maybe even as deep as the first joint.

I hear ya, had that problem, I aslo found that canting the bow helped me in a big, big way...... :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell