Author Topic: Looking to work for you guys by mail - new and no tools!  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Looking to work for you guys by mail - new and no tools!
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:16:51 pm »

Okay I'm sure you've all seen me around here by now, but if you haven't - Hello and Greetings!

I'm Tet, a new member to the boards and a wannabee primitive!

I am interested in just about everything but primarily archery and wilderness survival at the moment.

I'm looking on getting into making self bows and arrows, and bone tools and maybe even a bit of leatherwork and knapping.

BUT I have no real tools or materials!

SO! I hereby offer my services in whatever off the wall crafts and I can do in exchange for whatever you all can see fit to toss my way.

I often make hemp/fiber necklaces and can weave pretty darn well and even know how to crochet to a certain extent.
I can sew (as well as cook and clean  :P), and I used to be a pretty good design artist when I was younger (used to make tribal tattoo designs).

There's more I'm sure but long story short, I'm looking for some people nice enough to cut me a break.
And to all reading this, if your not willing to send something to someone you don't know, your not gonna hurt my feelings.
I understand fully well that I'm basically unknown and my skills are meager at the moment.

On request I can supply pictures of what little I can do.

Let me know,
~Tet
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Looking to work for you guys by mail - new and no tools!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:19:44 am »
I have a smaller sized, but aggressivly toothed rasp, plus a few other basic tools.  I might be able to come up with a roughed out bowstave for you, too.

What can you do for a stylized general raptor design?  I'm looking for something to get done in silhouette on the back end side windows in the Jeep. 

I'll try to throw together what tools and a bowstave for you this weekend.  Sending you a p.m.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 02:47:28 am »
Too bad you are in Ohio, but if you ever head towards tulsa, I would be happy to fire up the forge and help you make a knife for your bow making. Winter time is my favorite time to make knives.... the forge keeps you comfy.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wildman

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:45:09 am »
PM me your address. I have alot of unused odds and ends.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:03:58 pm »
Wild was nice enough to send me some stone, and a tine to start working on learning knapping along with some other things. TY again Wild!

Now I just need a bilet (can probably make one from the scrap maple branches we got.) and any tools I'm forgetting - is that leather cusp I see others using to flake a necessity or recommended?

I'm working on something for JW, which may net me a file and/or a stave.

In the meantime I'm working on getting pics up of some necklaces and other things I have for trade.

I'm now looking for some bone, sinew, and hides - any size - even squirrel works atm. (fur on or off doesn't matter)

The hides are because I want my first string to be a rawhide string but I could still use a string anyway for tillering, and a lb gauge.
(yes I am THAT lacking in tools.)

I really need to get some wood to work still. Staves and shafts. I have found both but am not allowed to gather at present.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »
Try looking in antique stores for drawblades and old hatchets, pretty much any hand tool (usually rasps are not good finds in these stores) I have obtained most of my tools from yardsales, antique stores and friends.

Good luck with all the wood working, nothing satisfies the soul!

John, Gourges of Central New York
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 12:23:23 am »
Hey, if you need a cheap hatchet to rough stuff out.. i can get one. Ive got several old axe blades begging to be put to a better purpose!
you might want to get some B50 to make strings. Much easier(and safer at first) than rawhide. Squirrel rawhide is probably the best rawhide for making strings(according to youtube and this website).
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:30 am »
I can use just about anything atm. Especially tools, though I don't have really any materials to work with those missing tools either :P

I'm still trying to get my stuff together and get pics up. I got hurt and then sick - so I've been behind.

I agree about squirrel for strings.

Offline Brother Dan

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:50:46 am »
Where are you in Ohio, I'm in the southwest, west of Cincinnati.   BDan
Cleves, Ohio

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 04:48:52 pm »
First Things First - I apologize to anyone who I was talking to before my disappearance from these forums, Some personal stuff came up and I had to drop basically everything. JW and Gopher you guys have been sent messages, and my apologies.

Second, I'm back from a rather too long hiatus, and yes I'm still looking for work, tools, and what have you.

In Fact , I'm now pretty desperate for it. Unemployment on top of current conditions have made things quite harsh atm. I'll spare the details but suffice to say. I'm willing to do dirty work to get tools and materials this year.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »
Send me your address and I will send off that rasp!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.