Author Topic: Spoons Points  (Read 8366 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: Spoons Points
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »
Buy them at the Goodwill for about a dime each.   In fact, buy some forks and do the same thing.   Then you can hit any forkin' thing you shoot at.  piper

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 10:54:14 pm »
 ;D Mr. kieth, if thats the case, you, ian, and myself need to start raiding the goodwill.  :P
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 01:19:29 am »
For goodness sake, stay out of the wife's good silver.  :o It is way too soft for this kind of thing.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 01:46:50 am »
Could you use a circular saw blade instead of the spoons?  It should be harder.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:51 am »
i think alot of people use circular/bandsaw blades. much harder, i think.
lets just shoot it

Offline sulphur

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 10:41:16 pm »
the problem i have with saw blades is the cutting them up.  i don't have a plasma cutter or anything like that.  I do have a hi speed cut off tool thats pneumatic. and i can always put a metal cutting blade in my band saw.   I may see what kind of metal stock i can find tomorrow.  i'm in the mood for more experimenting.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 07:42:33 am »
Looks good to me,should do fine if you stay off the bones. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 11:44:13 am »
Sulphur, You can use a cold chisle and anvil to score the outline of the points and break them off along the score marks. Your pneumatic cut off tool should do the job nicely too. If you are searching for other metal to use be sure it has a good carbon content.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sulphur

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 06:03:13 pm »
in the never ending saga to spend less money, this is what i came up with today.  made from 16 gauage steel sheet i bought a lowes for $6 (12x18).  i just copied one of my zwickey's.  it was a little hard on my metal bandsaw blade but i finally came up with something i think will work great.  takes a much better edge than the spooons.  i can honestly say i may never buy a broad head again.

the one on the left is my template the rest are junk.

Offline dogleg

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 10:48:03 pm »
Sulpher,

As far as circular saw blades, they're working well for me.  Just shot one into a concrete block, from about 30 feet.  It was on my first arrow.  I hardened and tempered it to straw, so don't know how it would work, straight up.  But it didn't break, or bend, and it went in about 3/8".  Cut it out with a cut-off blade and pnuematic grinder.  There's a pic of it, under 'very first arrow' on the first page of the thread, if you're interested.  I'm a carpenter, so free blades, forever, for me.   ;)

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 03:22:33 pm »
I have had good luck cutting circular saw blades with metal cutoff wheels for an angle grinder. One of these I jury rigged onto my bench grinder after taking off one grinding wheel and using a bunch of washers. The other tool that works well is a wet/dry tile saw with an angle grinder cutoff wheel.

I have played around with hardening these points as well, but they seem hard enough for most purposes as is. Heat treating them can substantially harden them, where this is not so with things like spoons.

SOM

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
The stainless spoons should be harder than the 16 gauge mild steel from Lowes. I use tablespoons for the ones I've made. They are bigger and usually thicker too. Goodwill has them cheap and so do yard sales sometimes.  I'd be surprised it the 16 gauge holds up as well if it is regular hot rolled mild steel.  If so...it too has too little carbon to harden w/ heat and quench.  Circular saw blades work good too. The two you made both look good though, nice work, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)