Author Topic: April 1st Knapping Hot Rocks  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Dalton Knapper

April 1st Knapping Hot Rocks
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
I wanted everyone to know that I have after much painstaking research found the secret to water knapping heated stone. We all know to heat the rock to at least 500° F, but that is where it departs from the usual dropping of water on the blank that we have all heard about. I have learned that by brushing the water on with a feather (some say an eagle feather, but that is bogus and against the law to boot - any feather will do), you can gain control of the chipping. I dip the feather in water, but instead of putting the feather against the rock completely wet, I shake the feather out so that only a trace of water remains on it, then I brush the biface where I want the flake scar to appear. After about two minutes of doing this, the rock must be heated again. I have been accomplishing that by keeping a turkey roaster full of sand on 500° and shoving the point back into the sand for a few minutes so it can regain full temperature. It works like a charm.

I must apply this warning however - do not try this at home, work, on the moon or anywhere without a full welding suit and hood. No exceptions. This technique only works on April 1st and no other day of the year.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: April 1st Knapping Hot Rocks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »
I can't wait to see the video on youtube!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:33:22 pm »
That's pretty good.    For minute or two I thought you had lost your mind.     :)
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline threefingers

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »
??

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:38:02 pm »
That was good! Got me. :D

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:08:31 pm »
I'm glad some folks enjoyed my April Fools joke. On "the other site beginning with Paleo" I posted an electric pressure flaker thing. I had to have fun on 4/1.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 03:19:52 am »
Love it ;D ;D 8)
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"