Author Topic: Bow bending  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Wayne pycior

Bow bending
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »
When heating and bending a bow to make a recurve should I tiller it first or bring it close then bend it then tiller?

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Bow bending
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:51:49 pm »
I like to get them floor tillered, bending a few inches, before I recurve the outer limbs. That way they'll be thin enough that I can get them good and hot and I know the bend will make it, and stay.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »
I agree with Mr. Squirrels  Plus, try to get the belly to one ring also if you can. this can help keep splinters down when bending.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:18:34 pm »
personally I like to go all the way to full brace, less suprises that way
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 07:32:22 pm »
Whichever way you chose to approach your build, Id suggest equaling the tip thickness from end to end so the statics come out indentical. A bit thicker and you get less bend, a bit thinner and you get more. If the last 8-10" of each limb is the same thickness you'll have nice even statics. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:08 pm »
I've done it both ways. Didn't seem to matter a whole bunch. I do always get the bow beyond floor tiller, however. Less wood bends easier.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:17:12 pm »
personally I like to go all the way to full brace, less suprises that way

This is when I do most of my heat work as well.... except for major string alignments. Those I deal with right after floor tillering.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:21:04 pm »
What pat B said.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 07:51:46 am »
If you are talking about static bend or flipping the tips I usually do that when I get it out to 20 inches or so and all else is looking even and weight about where it should be for that draw. Never seen it change tiller much except add a few pounds and it makes it much easier for me to not miss weight while trying to get it to brace. If you are talking about a true recurve,don't know no experience with them. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good