Author Topic: Jigsaw tips?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Ross.m.

Jigsaw tips?
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:57 pm »
I'm going to be using a jigsaw to rough out some staves tomorrow. I haven't ever used a jigsaw on a stave, and it is hickory so it is tough wood. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Jigsaw tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:22:28 pm »
Don't use it. A jig saw isn't made for that. IMO you would be better off with a good hand ax.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:34:33 pm »
what Pat said, a sharp hand axe will make short work of it, Gordon did a build a long where he ruffed out with an axe explains it well
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:41:38 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:55:31 am »
Pap gave youna good tip. Don't use it.
I use a hand axe and then got to a draw knife for roughing out  a stave.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:10:37 am »
good advice you got already. that saw isn't up to the job.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:40:03 am »
   If the muscles in your forearm aren't developed that well the hand axe can be difficult as your hand will fatique pretty quickly. I would vote for a hand axe and a draw knife if you have one. Take your time, you will also get to know your tools and the wood while you are taking it down.

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »
I have used a jigsaw on staves before but like others have already said its not the best tool for the job. The main problem with the jigsaw is the blade depth is fairly shallow so the stave has to be relatively thin in order to cut all the way through it with the jigsaw. Also the blade angle can get way off with a jigsaw causing it to go much deeper on the opposite side of your cut and ruining your stave. You will be better off using a drawknife and ferriers rasp, the only thing I use a jigsaw for now is cutting in shelves.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »
Jig saws and power planers ... spits on floor >:D
Even a cheapo bandsaw (with a decent blade) would be vstly better.
Use a hand saw and jump up and down at the same time ;) just as good.
But seriously if you really have to do it, get it solidly clamped, do a little at a time and try your dmndest to hold the sucker steady.... I hate those things. Almost as bad as those reciprocating saws I've seen used for demolition on DIY programs on TV. They shake more than cut and a well applied sledgehammer would be twice as quick. Tools invented by marketting wonks for the gullible IMO ::)
Del
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:25:28 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 06:47:59 pm »
I agree with the others.  One of those big oversized bowie knives or "survival knives" that are too big to be much good for anything else but chopping can be used to reduce a stave if you don't have a good hatchet.  That jig saw won't like wood over 1/2" thick - at least it won't like hickory more than a 1/2" thick.  Table saws and circular saws will do a little better, but in reality, if you are going to saw out the profiles of a bow stave, a band saw 14" or bigger is the best route to take. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi