Author Topic: Bow making lumber retailer in Central Alabama?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Sidmand

Bow making lumber retailer in Central Alabama?
« on: March 30, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »
Hi all.  I am out of staves (only had one), and the retailer that I was buying board lumber from is now closed to the public.  That retailer was Hardwoods Inc. in Shelby County Alabama.  Does anyone know of a good source of board lumber for bow making in Central Alabama (within an hour or so drive of Birmingham)?  What about someone in the same area that would sell staves?  I know I can look online and order, but the shipping is more than I want to pay, and I would like to put eyes/hands on the wood prior to purchase if possible.  Any help here is much appreciated
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:20:11 pm by Sidmand »
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Bow making lumber retailer in Central Alabama?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:51:53 pm »
In Demopolis, Al. there is a hickory mill that makes drum stick blanks.  Take a truck down there and they will sell you some of there slabs from a discarded pile beside the river.  For 15 or 20 bucks you can get enough hickory to keep you in bow wood for a year...  Now I may regret divulging a true honey hole, but there it is.... your welcome.  ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Sidmand

Re: Bow making lumber retailer in Central Alabama?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:06:54 am »
thank you!! I will check into that this week, and I might have to make a run down that way soon.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle