Author Topic: Southern Red Cedar?  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Southern Red Cedar?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »
The biggest dimensional difference that you will have is thickness.  ERC has very low bend resistance so it has to be a lot thicker to make draw weight.   I still mess em up by getting them too thin when I'm roughing them out.  I haven't hard backed one, so I don't know how that effects the final dimensions.  One of the fellas that makes laminates will have to answer that.  I hope to see you at the classic.  As it stands right now, its pretty iffy on whether or not I will make it as well.  Josh

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »
What about the length? I generally like my stiff handled bows around 66 inches tip to tip and bendy handles about 60. Any problem with those? Width about 1.75 to 2 in?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 12:56:51 pm »
On a backed bow both lengths should be OK. Two inches might be a bit too wide.
 You can also make a good bow using the sapwood either as the back or by itself. I shot an all sapwood ERC ELB a few years ago that shot great. It pulled about 45#.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »
Thanks, Pat. I generally shoot between 40 to 55 lbs. No heavy weight bows for me. 1.5 to 1.75 width best for little set?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 01:58:12 pm »
I might add , put up the rasps and rough work tools early.cedar will take deep toolmarks easy.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 03:32:20 pm »
I might add , put up the rasps and rough work tools early.cedar will take deep toolmarks easy.

+1 

I've already made that error on some ERC projects I've working on. :-\ :-\ :-\  :'(

OneBow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:04 pm »
Start at 1.75" and if it starts getting too thin while tillering recuse the width a bit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 04:48:56 pm »
Thanks, Pat. That sounds like it will work. Hopefully I can find some that I don't have to wait too long for it to season.

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 05:39:02 pm »
I've considered getting a box of incense cedar and seeing if I could get some lam material out of it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹