Author Topic: woodpecker chips  (Read 2397 times)

nsherve

woodpecker chips
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:44:32 pm »
i'm starting my first bow out of privet. the back side of the wood has woodpecker chips. they aren't deep at all, barely made it through the bark. should I sand them down, or just leave them alone? or any other suggestions... thanks

nate

Offline dwardo

Re: woodpecker chips
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »
I had a nice bit of elm given to me with Wood Pecker marks on the back. I hoped all would be well but the subsequent healing and rot was many rings deep :(

Your bit of timber might be different, hope it is.

nsherve

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 04:17:06 pm »
I also have some elm that had fallen over. Just getting started on it, also. I want to try on the privet first since it's all over the place here, and I learn better hands on. It's really nice looking wood, and pretty heavy. I might have my wife take pics of it and put them up.

Nate

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:33:22 pm »
I also have some elm that had fallen over. Just getting started on it, also. I want to try on the privet first since it's all over the place here, and I learn better hands on. It's really nice looking wood, and pretty heavy. I might have my wife take pics of it and put them up.

Nate

Did the tree have healthy green leaves on it when it fell over?  And did you harvest the wood before the leaves fell off?  If you do not answer yes to both answers, use the wood for anything you like but not for a bow.  Whitewoods are subject to molds that immediately begin working on decay when the tree dies. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

nsherve

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:03:38 pm »
Yea, the elm tree was just flowering. It wasn't completely fallen. There was a break/tear near the bottom of the trunk and it was supported by another tree. The privet hadn't fallen over at all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:06:41 pm »
Elm has made many a good bow in the past!  No reason you should pass on this one! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.