Author Topic: Need help with dimensions for English Longbow  (Read 10522 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Need help with dimensions for English Longbow
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
I have an Osage backed Hickory stave all glued up ready for work. I'm aiming for English Longbow (comes full compass) at around 55-60lb at 29 inches. I only currently have access to war bow dimensions, but not a target longbow. I'm aiming for the typical D shaper cross section as often seen on many Edwardian and Victorian longbows.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Need help with dimensions for English Longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:06:42 pm »
you mean hickory backed osage right lol

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:49:51 pm »
Yeah; Osage backed with hickory. I know Osage prefers a flatbow desgin though?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 05:16:31 pm »
You can make a true ELB with hickory backed osage. Osage doesn't mind a rounded belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 05:46:11 pm »
What length is the stave?
(I have a feeling it's going to be too short...length is a REALLY important factor in a longbow.)

Have you received the Trad. Bowyer's Bible yet?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 05:55:12 pm »
Yeah I've recived it; and I'm half way through already  :D. Sadly it doesn't deal with a laminate ELB, but the yew section is great. My stave is 80 inches long and 2 inches wide x 2 inches depth.

EDIT
I want to make it in the true full compass style and not upon the later Victorian models. 30 inch draw max

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »
Good. 80" is a lot better than the initial 60" that you were talking about. That book and wood sure arrived fast then...
As far as dimensions go, a hickory backed osage ELB will not be too different from a yew ELB. I'd go for 1¼" wide for around 60#@30", tapering to ½" nocks. Length of about 76" (72" would work as well, but since you're a beginner, some extra length will give you more leeway). Thickness about 1" at the handle, tapering to ½" tips. This will be a bit too thick, but it's a good number for roughing out, from where you can start floor tillering.
How thick is your hickory backing? And did you glue it yourself and what glue was used for that?

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 06:31:37 pm »
I have used polymite for the glue an the thickness of hickory is 1/4.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »
1/8" is plenty of thickness for the hickory backing for a 60# bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:14:18 pm »
I don't have a clue what "polymite" glue is but your getting great advice
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:13:57 pm »
I think I'll go with the dimensions DarkSoul has given. I just plan on taking it really slowly and doing the best job I can do. Any more advice would be great though. I'm also having to use a simple tiller stick as I don't have one of those sophisticated winch types.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:15:32 pm »
    I think a full compass tiller on a 76" hickory backed osage that is 60# will be grossly overbuilt, perform poorly and be very shocky to shoot. If you were going for 120# it would be a reasonable demension. I would go 72" max and use a much more elyptical tiller keeping the center section almost stiff. I recently built an elm at about 66# and an osage at 72#. The osage is 72" long and the elm is 68" long and both seem about right. The elm performs much better than the osage.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:43:07 pm »
Steve, remember he's looking for a 30" draw length. I agree that a 76" bow would be overbuilt, but I also think that many beginners tend to underbuild their first few bows. A longer bow is not nearly as sensitive to a less than perfect tiller. And if the draw weight comes in low, he can always pike the bow two inches to gain some weight. A first bow will not be a great performer most likely anyway, and the loss in performance does - in my opinion - not outweigh the additional safety of the extra length.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:01:59 pm »
  I agree with overbuilding, but I think in his case he would be grossly overbuilding. English longbows are somewhat unique in that they have a ration of width and depth we need to stay within. If we make them too narrow they start twisting. The 76" might be ok but with a full compass tiller and only 60# it will be a serious thumper and not be pleaseant to shoot. If I really wanted the war bow look I would shape the bow out at 76" and then roughly tiller it to a small flex and then check the mass. You can match the tiller shape to the mass, stay within war bow specs and still get a good shooter. With a full compass tiller it only allows for about 17 oz which would be about 1/2" wide, he needs to start at least about 1 1/4" for that length with an extremely small width taper for most of the limb. With a very extreme elyptical tiller it will allow him up to about 26 or 27 oz which is more reasonable, ( he still won't likley make that) but he will be more inline and have a decent shooter.