Author Topic: Finding Clovis  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Finding Clovis
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:01:38 pm »
On some PBS channels at 8pm tonight(now) is "Finding Clovis"!  Its been on before but is worth seeing again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mohawk13

Re: Finding Clovis
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:48:32 pm »
Excellent show...Believe it is also on Youtube...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:26 pm »
Actually this was on SCETV(South Carolina Public TV) and was about Clovis, specifically at the Topper site along the Savannah River in South Carolina dating back at least 13,000 years. One of the dilemmas was why Clovis disappeared with no evidence why? From what I got from this program was that Clovis in this area lasted for a relatively short period of about 300 years
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:23:03 am »
Moved west due to climactic changes and nasty dust storms that lasted for almost 10 years. Evidence of this found in Delaware and Maryland.....Been My area of study for over a year now..Clovis really interests Me..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:47:13 am »
Did Clovis originally travel from west to east or east to west or did they come from both directions simultaneously.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:50:26 am »
Pat out in my area we have the pre Clovis Haskett points.  Some of the oldest in the country, to my understanding.  They were found in the next county over from me.  I have a buddy that has found one full one and a couple broken ones.  That might answer you question about if they moved from east to west

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:03:31 am »
Matt, I saw another PBS special on the origins of humans in the Americas and they talked about the
Saloutrian(sp) points found in Nova Scotia and also in the southern most parts on South America on the Pacific side. If I'm not mistaken the Saloutrian pre-date Clovis also.
 On another show I watched the archeologist were digging in an ancient lake bed in the western US and found bones with blade scars on them and these bones pre-dated Clovis by 20000 to 30000 years. No lithic artifact were found in the lower lake bed sediments though.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:08 am »
I sure love all of the pre history shows.  I have heard about the saloutrian point but not of the lake bed.  Sound like something very interesting.  There are some petroglyphs to the north of me that are very very old near the ancient horse fossils.  Maybe same tribes. 

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:51 pm »
From what I have researched, There are more Clovis sites in the East than in the West. Better minds than mine surmise that the Clovis Culture was a direct decedent of the Saloutrian Culture of Western Europe. Their points, found both in Europe and here in North America, Resemble each other greatly. More research is being done on the Atlantic Route of migration, and blowing the Beringia only scholars theories out of the water. I feel that Clovis originated on this Continent from technology brought over from Europe...

That being said, they are also looking at Clovis People and Asiatic People to see how far back the blending of their Genomes goes, as Clovis seems to have disappeared to an extent, and they are stating that the two Cultures merged to form  the Modern Indian Genome...Closest relatives to both are the Eastern Sioux...Interesting times with the advent of modern science and DNA technology...Stay Tuned

JacksonCash

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »
Mohawk, do you work on this professionally, or as a hobby?

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 01:55:04 pm »
Its a hobby. I am a Minister and a Pa-C by profession. I have a keen interest in History, and in the last Year have been taking a deeper look at Primitive Cultures. I have an interest in their bows, arrows, and tools, so I have looked deeper to better My understanding to enhance My bow and tool building. My thought is to learn from them to better understand My hobby.

I also suffer from insomnia from PTSD...Served 22 years with the Army....Gives me alot of time to read and do research....LOL
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:58:33 pm by Mohawk13 »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »
Mohawk
Thank you for your service
and now we thank you for your continued service in some other areas
I love hearing folks take on history , my views are often very different but still like hearing from others !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 06:12:36 pm »
Buckeye Guy,
                           If we all had the same views...Life would be very stale indeed. Life is a journey. If we come to understand the past, sometimes the road ahead becomes much clearer...Cheers, Rev. Pete