Author Topic: what is a "D" bow?  (Read 3667 times)

Offline sailordad

what is a "D" bow?
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:14:42 pm »
        I've been reading alot of post lately (old ones and some new ones) talking about "D" bows,but never really heard a definition of what one is.
would I be right to assume that this would refer to the shape of the bow limb as viewed from a cross section of the limb? As would be the shape of a traditional English long bow. Sorry for sounding so ignorant about such simple topics,but this is how newbies learn.

thanks,

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: what is a "D" bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:23:56 pm »
Yes sorta , a "D" bow is a bow that bind the intire length of the bow, through the handle.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 08:24:44 pm »
  Tim, A "D" bow is what is typicaly called a bend in the handle bow. It is tillered with a slightly stiff handle area. You can feel the handle bend at full draw. The bow is tillered so it takes on the shape of a "D" at full draw if a line is drawn from tip to tip. Some stiff handled bows are tillered with a weak, slightly longer top limb and a stiffer bottom limb. The "D" bow is tillered with the center of the bow bending.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:25:27 pm »
Look at Gordons Hazelnut bow he just posted, See the shape at full draw.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:28 pm »
Like everybody else said, the D refers to the shape of the drawn bow. The ELB does have a D-shaped limb cross section, but it is also a D-bow tiller wise.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:58:54 pm »
This is the kind of thing that gets hard to define because of published exceptions.  Traditionally, 'D' bows would bend through the handle and in most cases the handle wouldn't be narrowed (see, 'perfect bow under 50# in the bowyer's bibles).  For some reason Dean Torges describes such bows as 'C' bows and bows with stiff, narrowed handle sections and elliptical tiller 'D' bows in his book 'Hunting the Osage Bow.'  I'm not completely sure if there is any historical precedent for Dean's definitions or if he was just trying to create new terms that he thought were more useful.  At any rate, sometimes people use the terms 'C' and 'D' to refer to cross-sections, and at other times referring to tiller profile.  There is no universally accepted definition for 'D' bows but the definitions given by those above are accurate and represent 95% of use.  Just beware of the rare exception.

J. D.