Author Topic: Why are my bows breaking?  (Read 12316 times)

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
Re: Why are my bows breaking?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 07:49:16 pm »
The draw planer you talk of may be a spoke shave. I've never had much luck with one, but some of my friends like them. A farrier's file is a good tool to have some where down the line. Like bubby said, a hunting knife served as a scraper for me for about a year also. Several things will substitute for a scraper. You can pick up a set of three scrapers (all are different shapes) for about 20 dollars US money. A cabinet makers catalog or primitive archery catalog should have these.
As far as making straight lines or following the grain, that depends on the wood and the straightness of the stave. On curvy staves you should follow the longitudinal grain. Pick up one grain line in the center of the stave  and mark it with a pencil. That will be the center line of your bow from tip to tip. Lay out your bow design from that line. On straight staves you can usually just lay out straight lines unless the grain runs crossways.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:53:28 pm by Bogaman »

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 07:57:26 pm »
When you get a piece of wood for your next bow, post a picture of it on this thread so some of us can give you our 2 cents worth of advice ;^)

Offline Wiley

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01:21 pm »
You shouldn't cut through the grain lines at all on the back of a white wood bow at all. Peel or scrape the bark off until you get to the outermost growth ring and no farther. If you take an already stressed high crown and you violate the growth ring on the back it's asking for failure without another backing on it. The rawhide will help keep it together if you did nick it a little here and there but it's preferable to have it clean in either case.

If all I had were high crowned staves, I would at least experiment with building them backwards. Split it right down the middle, sand out the surface where the split was with coarse to finer sandpaper until it's as smooth as you can get it to be, back that in rawhide and tiller it from the side that is usually the back. You would end up with a flat back and belly after tillering it. The grain would run vertical end to end, seems violated but it can still work for a self bow if done correctly, backing it in rawhide will help ensure it stays together and is probably the safe thing to do for a bow built in this manner.

A scraper is a simple tool, lots of things made of steel can be made into a scraper. A knife, half a pair of scissors, a rectangle cut out of an old saw blade, chainsaw bar, the main thing is that it scrapes or shaves off just a little bit of wood every time you run it along the limb. With a cabinet scraper you put a small burr on it's edge and you end up with nice little shaved curls of wood and a smoother surface than you get with sanding. Relatively inexpensive and easy to make yourself, if you make one look up a "burnishing jig" to make putting a burr on it easier. I wouldn't abuse my draw knife by using it as a scraper, two very different tools with very different purposes.

You should always follow the grain whatever direction it seems to take. If you split a small tree the split will follow the grain. Your bow should follow the grain end to end of the stave if the stave snakes around you must follow the grain around these bends.

You've been given a lot of really good advice in this thread, hope the next one turns out well. After you get the next one down to being on a long sting on the tillering tree, take some pictures of the early bend and make a thread. State your thoughts on where you think wood needs to be removed, the folks here will either concur or tell you otherwise. After getting it to brace post pictures in that thread and do the same thing. Taking the tiller slow taking pictures and asking the folks here about it before you go too far to fix things will probably help your chances.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 05:12:16 am »
I'm working on my first bow at the moment. I had a cabinet scraper but didn't like it much. On staves with dips,bumps and knots etc I find a short sharp knife much more useful.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:09 am »
I haven't read the thread, but just regarding the question in the title, sometimes you just get in a funk. I am making a bow for a guy, and have broke the first two bows I was making for him. One I guess due to being bad bamboo, the other the nock end just randomly broke off taking with it a good chunk of the ipe belly. No idea what happened there! So I guess I am in one of those horrible funks I get into now and again. Just gotta cool off, chill out for a minute, and then pick up another stave and get it bending, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 03:30:03 pm »
Don't forget to take pictures at every stage, especially when you get a string on it and start it moving.
this will help a whole lot!
Don't get dispirited. Even the best of the best still break them  ;)

Keep going!

The guys here will get you going no problem.
 :)
Matt

Offline hallifox

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 06:30:25 pm »
This is a way old thread, but one i found had a lot of useful information on it.

Here's a piece from me- I have found that the ash i cut had a weak, brittle layer on it, about 5mm deep, under the bark. This was ash that was cut in autumn, so this may be the summer growth layer. My bows were breaking during tillering until i discovered this, and have been fine since i have been removing it down to the sound wood (with a spokeshave). You can tell if this is the problem because this layer will break clean, with a straight crack, unlike the ragged, fibrous break of the wood underneath.

I have since found it useful to cut a few short slivers (approx 5mm thick) from some of the wood i'm planning to use and i test the various layers for strength and flexibility, just by bending and breaking them by hand. Obviously this doesn't put the same strain on the wood as pulling a bow, but it can tell you quite a lot about the wood.
"Doubt is uncomfortable, but certainty is absurd" Voltaire

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 02:37:29 am »
What they all said +1 :)
Good to have you here, you'll find all the help you need.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline cadet

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 06:26:52 am »
... and a tool that I don't know the English word for.. A draw planer perhaps? ...
spoke shave?
One of my favourite tools ever, for anything; but while a good one is a joy, a poorly made one is rubbish.

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2017, 06:43:23 am »
    I always get a kick out of threads like this. When I first started I was breaking bow after bow, I have no idea how many I broke. Funny thing was that my very first attempt was a 3 lam recurve and it came out great. Next couple of years everything broke. That's when I bought a computer and found Jawges web site. It got me off to a start finally. My problem was primarily wood selection as I suspect it is for this young man also. You need to start with good bow wood. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 07:11:58 am »
Glad I helped. Thanks for mentioning my web site, Badger. Wood selection was my problem early on, too. I remember that I broke quite a few also. I think around 14 broke. 

http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 08:18:13 am »
I think the general consensus poor for wood choice. When I started, I thought I was never going to be able to make a bow after my first 6 board bows broke, number 7 shot.....but was about the worst tillered contraption you could imagine, then I found the TBB, and it all changed. Then 15 or so years after I found the TBB, I found this sight....and we all know how this place helps us all.
Eric

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 01:55:24 pm »
I only skimmed through the thread, so apologies if this has already been said, but what wood are you using?  Not all woods are bow woods.  In my area of the UK the timbers foresters are cutting are totally unsuitable for bows

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 03:40:01 pm »
I wonder if Soren ever got a bow working. He started this thread April 18 2014 and was last active April 20 2014. Maybe a language problem.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 04:28:55 pm »
Oh, didn't realise the thread was so old, thanks for pointing it out