Author Topic: Quad lam - 4 laminations - Why not more?  (Read 18182 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Re: Quad lam - 4 laminations - Why not more?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:50 am »
I think above four is ridiculous. The wood would make the limb very heavy and think about this.... Glue is 2x the weight of wood. So if you have a lams worth of glue in the bow it will be slower. Just my 2 cents
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:52 pm »
If you can do a bi-laminate, you can do a tri-lam! The gluing process is no different. If you're using TB glues, your surfaces must be clean, flat and fit exactly. Eliminate 'gap filling' from your vocabulary! I use 2" wide lams, and stack them in whatever combo I'm wanting. Wrap with bicycle inner tubes, and you're good to go. The backing and core lams are usually 1/4" thick, and the belly is whatever thickness is needed to make weight.

Stop leaving laminated bows in direct sunlight!!  >:( That's not the bow's fault, that's your fault!! If you treat your bows like firewood, that's exactly what they'll become.  :o
got a question about trilams-
do i glue it all at once? Cause that is what I did!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »
Yes. Definitely. Smooth the glue on all binding surfaces and bind 3 layers with wrapped inner tubes. Same as a backed bow, only you're adding an extra lam.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 09:59:50 pm »
Here's a video I made a while back showing how I do it.  The video production is not the greatest, but you can get the idea of how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3nhYpq6cY

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 10:45:59 pm »
Thanks, Cam!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 10:53:00 am »
Here's a video I made a while back showing how I do it.  The video production is not the greatest, but you can get the idea of how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3nhYpq6cY

Saw this post referred to in the Tri-Lam thread and so I watched Cameroo's YouTube video on glueing up.  My wife wanted me to complement you on your selection of background music.  She said, and I quote "...it doesn't get Eddie Vedder than that!"   ::) ;D :D  (...she claims to be his biggest fan!)

Onebow
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:56:23 am by Onebowonder »

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 10:51:19 pm »
In my opinion, the nature wood fibers especial yew have the least energy loss or heat loss. that's because the natural selection. the more lams, the more glue is included in the bow, which as a buffer raises the heat loss. some body may argues that why most tri or quad lams bow has the higher speed than self bow. 1.Not each wood fibers could be excellent as yew. 2.using denser belly wood and powerer backed lam such as bamboo can reduce mass. 3.more important point is that the lams give the reflex, which stores much more energy than a straight self bow. that's why in a warbow flight competition the straight lams bows didn't show too much advantage than self bows and why a recurve horn bow has higher speed than a self yew bow, but supposing the poundage is up to 150 or more, the higher heat loss would be a significant negative factor.