Author Topic: Juniper from Bryce (tiller check?) anyone?!  (Read 22301 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Juniper from Bryce
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2014, 12:00:20 pm »
Bryce, I'm gonna have to beg to differ on that my friend.  I have made a couple that were less than stellar performers.  However, they were the exception, not the rule.  I have to admit that I haven't used common juniper yet, but ERC, Rocky mountain and Utah all made good longbows.  I have a beautiful piece of Ashe juniper to try in a longbow as well, but I just harvested it a couple months ago.  I will post results when its cured and completed.  Josh

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51:55 pm »
I have made a ERC ELB and i was not impressed with speed or my design.  I was so scared of the thing blowing up that i subconsciously left the limbs thicker and wider near the tips.  This resulted in slow cast, lots of vibrations and eventually a broken bow( near handle).  It was a flawless stave and backed with rawhide.  So lesson is get the mass where you need it and take it off where you don't.  Junipers theoretically should make great bows, but its all in design.  MHO :)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »
We're not talking about ERC here though or yew for that matter this species of juniper is NOTHING like them. I've had multiple ppl tell that it makes a dog of a long bow, even Keenan told me it wasn't worth the time. But I did it anyways and well whatyah know....it was a garbage shooter, so much so I tossed it I the burn barrel of shame.
Now I'm not sure this is the place to argue whether or not this or that works.
Sorry for the thread jack Bruce, I enjoy watching your build.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Josh B

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2014, 01:12:13 pm »
I wasn't trying to cut you off at the knees Bryce.  No offense intended at all.  I said that i haven't tried common juniper, which I believe is what is the most common out in your part of the world.  The juniper I have tried, for the most part was good wood for longbows.  Perhaps there is a difference in your stuff.  Without trying a few different staves I couldn't say.  So, that being said, I shall have to defer to your experience with your local wood.  My apologies Sir.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2014, 01:14:56 pm »
I wasn't trying to cut you off at the knees Bryce.  No offense intended at all.  I said that i haven't tried common juniper, which I believe is what is the most common out in your part of the world.  The juniper I have tried, for the most part was good wood for longbows.  Perhaps there is a difference in your stuff.  Without trying a few different staves I couldn't say.  So, that being said, I shall have to defer to your experience with your local wood.  My apologies Sir.  Josh

Nah it's chill bro. Just read what I wrote and it sounds harsher than I meant it to be:)
Takes a lot to offend this guy :D
Next time you come out we'll go cut some!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 01:18:58 pm »
No worries here man, I never really read up much on juniper before this. All the bows I did find were usually rather short sinew backed bows. From what I'm learning making the bow, if it wre a long bow it would be super thick. When I cut it down to 60" and the limbs were around 1" thick it flexed some. It amazed me. If it wasn't for the bark I would swear it was pine lol. I'm a sucker for a short bow, statics, man! When Chris and Bryce told me dimensions they were quite similar. Chris suggested the hooks. I love making recurves! So a short recurve? I'll take two! I appreciate the help from everyone. And don't worry about hacking the thread. The more the marry. After I get the bow to low brace I will post a few pix. Then it's on a shelf for a little bit till I get some more sinew. So high jack away. I enjoy the debate and comparisons. I'm learning
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2014, 11:55:23 am »
How low of a brace should I use to check alignment?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2014, 12:07:31 pm »
I thin I read on here if you are going with statics you should go to about 4" for a low brace.  If you try to go shorter it will try and go the other way.  Some one correct me if that is wrong.  The bows I made from juniper are anywhere from 52 to 56" but just kids bows.  Hope that helps.

P.S. The weather is getting warmer out here slowly but surely.  Time to get skinnin  ;)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2014, 01:17:46 pm »
So I got it bending pretty good. The right needs a lil something. It's at 2" brace and my string is sweet. Hopefully she stays that way. What now? Get it bending more and sinew it? I got lots of questions bout sinew. Lol anyone have a good build along with sinew procedure off the top of their head?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2014, 01:58:10 pm »
Id add the sinew now Bruiser.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2014, 02:00:26 pm »
Also, should I do the handle before sinew?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2014, 02:12:40 pm »
You can if you want to. I don't for no real reasons other than I simply don't. I like to keep the back of my handle flat and parallel until I get it braced. Then its all done by hand, that's when I shape it more to get proper feel and balance in order to get proper tiller.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »
Gotcha, when I do sinew it should I have it reversed braced while sinewing? Or just after?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »
Reverse beforeyou sinew. And let it dry like that.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »
With a short string? And exactly how much should I reverse brace it?