Author Topic: Growing shoots - any suggestions?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Growing shoots - any suggestions?
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:39 pm »

I'm thinking of trying to container grow some ash, maple, or hickory shoots.

I don't know enough about the ash family to know if I should avoid any of em for any specifics reasons.

We have some red maple readily available later this year as we have an adult in our yard.

And there are TONS of hickory in the surrounding area.

I just wanted to check in what recommended varieties I should be looking for.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Growing shoots - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »
Like I posted in the previous post you want to use shoots that are 2 years old or older for decent arrow material.  I've tried using maple shoots for arrows but they had to be too big in diameter to get a decent hunting weight arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:15:14 pm »
Bah thats what I collected the most seed of last year.

Meh guess I'll just roast em and make cookies again this year.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Wiley

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »
Can't say how good of an arrow it will make but we basically coppiced part of the woodland near our house for firewood over the winter.

Shoots are popping out of the stumps of the trees we cut during winter, in a year or two hopefully there will be some good oak and hickory shoots big enough for arrows.

If you want hardwood shoots, cut a large tree down in winter, cutting it on an angle on the stump. When spring comes around lots of shoots will pop out of it. Let them grow into something of a bush. Then trim most of them off once they are large enough leaving 2-3 that will grow into new tree trunks.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:21:46 am »
If you're looking for something to decorate with that produces shafts try red osier or ornamental cherry.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!