Author Topic: Give us your Favorite and Least Favorite shaft materials and why!  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Deo

Re: Give us your Favorite and Least Favorite shaft materials and why!
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »
I prefer

hazel
red osier
syringa
ninebark
wild rose
choke cherry
ocean spray

I also have carrizo and i think switch cane from Louisiana and yaupon holly which i have not used yet.

My least favorite are

Milled arrow shoots
aluminum
carbon
dowles

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
I think my favorite is big box store bamboo shoots.

Then chokecherry
   Red Osier
   Ramin
   Any other milled shaft

I should note that I dislike making arrows and I am cheap - bamboo is my favorite because they are so tough and they are inexpensive. My list should read bamboo and then everything else as a distant second. Shoots are nice but I have a lot of culls that waste my time. To really get a decent set of shoot arrows that match spine and weight I ended up cutting them big and planing them to a barrel taper, so they ended up being time consuming and not much like a shoot shaft.

Patrick

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 02:37:01 am »
Updated the lists!!

Looks like Bamboo is FAR out ahead, which actually surprised me.
Carbons and Milled/Dowels in the lead for least favorites, figured on that one.

Keep the inputs coming guys - the more who post the more we get to see what people enjoy working with!
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 10:46:16 pm »
Rough leaf dogwood is my favorite. I can cut a few sticks in my creek bottom, a few in the bar ditch,,,,, I can find it close to home.  Curtis

Online Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
OK, I'll start out with what I like, then comment on this whole poll.

My current favorite is yellow pine--partly because it is easy for me to get here in western Kentucky, and partly because it is tough.
Overall, ease of access is a high priority with me.

I like Douglas fir for the reasons above.

I like Port Orford cedar very much, but will never buy any because of the price.

I like red, black and Sitka spruce when I can get those.

Now for my view of this poll. It is fun to know what people like, but our preferences are based on subjective experience.

For instance, just about any arrow material will withstand a straight-on direct hit with any solid object. The point taper may be compressed, but the shaft/stele won't break unless the impact is at some angle other than directly in line.

Few if any of us go out with a  dozen new arrows and experiment carefully to see what angle of impact will  break them. We also don't record the angle when we  break an arrow, then try a different  wood at the same angle to see if it also breaks.

According to the dispassionate results of testing by the Forest Products Laboratory, POC  comes out better than Sitka spruce in both modulus of rupture and modulus of elasticity. They have no axe to grind,  if you will  pardon the imagery.

As I said at the beginning of my comments, this is a fun poll. One thing it will show is that there are a lot of arrow woods that make people happy!

Jim Davis (who, as the maker, seller of Reparrows, doesn't care what shaft people repair with them.) ;)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 02:28:49 pm »
Good points Jim,

I am a little partial to Douglas-fir, as I often help my dad, Bob, and Steve harvest fir for their production of Surewood shafts.  They have a strong commitment to quality.  Even their second grade hunters are straighter grained than most other wood shafts on the market.  Here is a photo from last weeks harvest. All of the wood you see strewn about are fir bolts that didnt meet their grade due to wavy grain.  The small pile at the top of the hill next to the truck is the good straight stuff. 

I like quality fir for its weight , durability, straightness, and beauty. 

I like ocean spray for shoot shafts, but when I look at all of the time I put into getting a matched dozen, then the price of surewoods doesnt look so bad. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline dam_01

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »
(Again mainly posting to kep a note of this thread)

I've not really tried a vast range of shafts, not really been shooting that long or often enough but so far scots pine is my favourite and POC my least favourite.
Very interested to give bamboo a go based on quite a few reports on how indestructible they seem to be.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
Good points Jim,

I am a little partial to Douglas-fir, as I often help my dad, Bob, and Steve harvest fir for their production of Surewood shafts.  They have a strong commitment to quality.  Even their second grade hunters are straighter grained than most other wood shafts on the market.  Here is a photo from last weeks harvest. All of the wood you see strewn about are fir bolts that didnt meet their grade due to wavy grain.  The small pile at the top of the hill next to the truck is the good straight stuff. 

I like quality fir for its weight , durability, straightness, and beauty. 

I like ocean spray for shoot shafts, but when I look at all of the time I put into getting a matched dozen, then the price of surewoods doesnt look so bad.

+1
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!