Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112094 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #375 on: June 02, 2014, 09:02:55 pm »
Steve
I was thinking earlier today that this bow would be good for flight.  If you project the draw weight to 32", which is standard for a warbow, then this bow would be pulling around 135#.  I would imagine the string tension must be pretty high.

P.S.  I never had any doubt it could be done.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #376 on: June 02, 2014, 09:11:18 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS Steve!!! Very well done! Even though I knew it was coming, I still had major pucker factor when your tiller tree let loose. Sweet Jesus. I was thinking you should maybe set up a double pulley to reduce the strain.

I think your tiller looks a wee bit uneven, with the right limb a bit stronger, but I believe getting perfect tiller with this type of highly stressed bow would be difficult. Osage is King, there is no doubt about it!

Even though it's past the 1 month deadline, I'd really like to send you one of my static recurves if you want it. You surely deserve it. I certainly feel obligated to stand behind my offer. Please send me your address in a PM, and I'll get started.

Once again, a big heart-felt congratulations!

Offline Badger

« Reply #377 on: June 02, 2014, 09:14:58 pm »
  Adam, the reason the tiller is off because I was so close to weight when I braced it that I was afraid adjusting tiller would put me under, I plan to clean up the tiller and draw out to 28". Thank you for the kind words! Don't worry about the bow, I am swimming in bows right now, but I sincerely appreciate the offer. Once I clean the bow up and retiller I will post the results and hopefully have some chrono shots to show.

Offline adb

« Reply #378 on: June 02, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
Who is ever going to shoot it as it is right now??? I love your 'full draw shot' in the hand!  ;D

Amazing that even with uneven tiller, it held together and even maintained some reflex. How much set did it take?

Offline Badger

« Reply #379 on: June 02, 2014, 09:25:41 pm »
  Right after unstringing it shows 3/4" reflex, I started with 1 1/2". The bow had a huge sideways bend in one of the limbs, almost 3" that I had to heat out of it, that had me nervous. James is one of our flight archers who can draw 100#, I plan to tiller it out to 28 and stay as close to 100 as I can. I took a force draw on it. It starts at 5# per inch and after about 6" goes to 4.5# per inch, the last couple inches are closer to 5#.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #380 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:58 pm »
Scary to watch but well worth seeing, nicely done Badger. Glad it held together even after all that, look forward to seeing the chrono reading on the beast.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PatM

« Reply #381 on: June 02, 2014, 09:33:47 pm »
Steve,  I'm pretty sure you could balance the tiller and draw it further. Or balance it and pike it a couple of inches for bonus points.  >:D

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #382 on: June 02, 2014, 09:55:29 pm »
Woooowee that was scary, especially after you just said, "going for broke"  good thing there was a spoiler alert on here, I probably would have lost some weight real fast!  Well done sir.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #383 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:51 pm »
Very cool Steve. I'm not gonna say that I thought all along it could be done. It sounded doable, but your having done it erases all doubts. Congrats. Very cool undertaking. And yes, Osage is KING!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #384 on: June 02, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »
20 or so pages of arrogance and arguing before Steve turned this thread around into something positive.  THANK YOU!  Congratulations on building that beast of a bow Steve.  Now what kind of arrows are you going to shoot out of it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2014, 10:37:51 pm »
  Clint, that was a split off the stave you sent me last week. I have some western larch arrows spined at 80#, should be about right with a 75 grain broadhead and the arrow pass about 1/2" away from center.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:41:07 pm by Badger »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #386 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:12 pm »
  Clint, that was a split off the stave you sent me last week. I have some western larch arrows spined at 80#, should be about right with a 75 grain broadhead and the arrow pass about 1/2" away from center.

Guess what tree that was from......the monster osage!  That is just to cool.  I'm glad you turned it into a monster bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Wiley

« Reply #387 on: June 03, 2014, 12:01:49 am »
Pretty scary end to that  video. Pretty amazing that the bow survived the tillering tree failure. i'm sure the tiller will look a bit better as you get it out to 28 inches. I'm glad you succeeded.

Now who's going to make one out of white wood? Thread doesn't need any more controversy, but its still fun seeing bows that push the limits of what some think is or isn't possible.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #388 on: June 03, 2014, 12:09:24 am »
Wow! That was pretty impressive workmanship. Congratulations!

I've had a  t tree break too. Scary.

Scared the daylights out of your dog, Steve.

Jawge
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:14:56 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline zenart

« Reply #389 on: June 03, 2014, 12:43:36 am »
B
  Adam, the reason the tiller is off because I was so close to weight when I braced it that I was afraid adjusting tiller would put me under, I plan to clean up the tiller and draw out to 28". Thank you for the kind words! Don't worry about the bow, I am swimming in bows right now, but I sincerely appreciate the offer. Once I clean the bow up and retiller I will post the results and hopefully have some chrono shots to show.

b..b..but, I'm not swimming in bows! Hey, I helped him!... okay, I lied.  Still, big of you to offer Adam and I for one would love one of your sticks. And really man, I miss your posts dude.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.