Author Topic: maybe my hobby helped?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline bushboy

maybe my hobby helped?
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »
Hey all .today at work a overhead concrete form collapsed and I was just able to step out of the way in time. Oddly as it may be I heard a series of slight tics in bout a second and bailed and the show came down half way out.didn't get hurt but I think my hate for tick sounds comes from building bows
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Zuma

Re: maybe my hobby helped?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
Bowyer's early warning system. Glad you are unscaled.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 12:28:51 am »
I was young once,  not to toot my horn but my reflexes used to impress me in a big way.   Also awareness is one key ingredient to survival, I use it in every day life like driving down a road I pay close attention to whats happening around me 360 degrees every second.  Just like the hunter in the bush stalking game,  a keen sense and quick action. 
Good to hear you got away in time.

I have fooled death at least 3 times, and I'm currently fighting it again as I type...... ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:51:46 am »
I feel as hunters we see and hear things that John Q Public types haven't trained themselves to notice.

On two occasions I heard a voice that kept me out of harms way. One time it said "CAR" as I crested a blind hill to meet a speeding car in my lane. When I heard "CAR I pulled off out of the way, it happened in seconds and was pure reflex.

The next time it was a booming baritone voice that shouted "SNAKE" while I was walking a deer trail squirrel hunting, always looking up, never looking at the ground. Upon hearing the voice I looked down to found my next step would have been on a coiled cottonmouth as big around as my arm. His mouth was open and he was ready to lay into me, he didn't survive our encounter.

The bottom line, there is much more to this world than we will ever know or be able to explain. In my case, I am pretty sure I have  a guardian angel that keeps me from doing excessively dumb things on impulse as well as giving me an occasional warning to keep me out of harms way. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:14:51 pm »
In timber felling, it is called "situation awareness".  Best exercise I have ever had is turkey hunting when all of a sudden everything shuts up.  You just kinda open your senses up and fill all the available space around you with awareness. 

Glad you are still with us bushyboy.  Would hate to think of a world where some guy is not looking at pallets and junk wood looking for his next bowstave!  Plenty of time later to read the small print they put on the underside of a tombstone!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.