Author Topic: ATATL however its spelled  (Read 11360 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: ATATL however its spelled
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 01:23:54 am »
....SORRY ole' boy seen it spelled both ways. About the catch I would not wanna have one change his mind and reach fer handcuffs ifn ya on public land. :o Game offices will tell ya its up ta the officer in that area that sees ya. Too much ambiguity here fer me ifn I was on public land. The penalty ifn it goes against ya is BIG TIME as ya know. :o Course I hunt on private land most of the time so dont apply then as ya say......bob

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 02:40:34 am »
Minor disagreement in how it's spelled.  The real problem is pronunciation.  There's at least three different pronunciations and nobody's sure which is correct.  Well, I suspect there are some Nahuatl  (spelling?) speakers left somewhere, but they aren't speaking up.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 11:09:08 am »
How did the cavemen spell it ;D

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 11:41:43 am »
oogah boogah!   ;D       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »
....................Hahahaha ! ;D ;D ;D ;D...bob

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 02:09:19 pm »
"Big stick chucker" sounds more fun than atlat anyway  :)!

But then again, that could apply to some of the peoiple around here, couldn't it  ????

phalcon005

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 02:52:58 pm »
Well, I had some fun in my youth with an Atlatl.  When I was around 15 I made a very crude atlatl and one spear, a roughly four foot hickory salping with nothing but a notch in the back and a whittled point on the front.  I chucked it at just about anything (remember, I was a teenager) and had an affinity for scaring the daylights out of the squirrels on our land.  There was an occasion where the stars were aligned or something and I actually managed to thump a squirrel with it and almost sent the squirrel out of the tree, but I can imagine I would never be able to hit a squirrel again in a million shots!

My main interest was the simplicity of constructing my crude setup, I probably spent two hours on the "thrower" and an hour on the "spear".  In a survival situation that seemed to be a remarkably short amount of time to create a ranged weapon with a lot of power. 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 11:45:03 pm »
I think Alabama is the only state that allows them for hunting all species of big and small game. Atlatls are fun and pretty amazing, I've thrown darts over a hundred yards before, and those suckers have amazing penetration. Don't ask me how I know, for instance, that an atlatl dart will go completely through both walls of a metal storage building or stick about 6" through the hood of a Ford 4000 tractor  ;D  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 10:41:57 pm »
.............Ya know I was wonderin' what that hole in hood was ! ;D.......bob

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 10:17:08 pm »
on youtube theres a video of a kid younger than me probably 11 or 12 and he hits a doe with one. i was looking for primitive archery hunts and found it. just type in something of the sort and you should be able to find it.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 04:06:25 am »
Bob, Isn't it spelled atlatl (pronounced at-lattel). I know folks that are good enough with them to hunt with them but I don't know if most states allow them for hunting. Probably most state officials wouldn't even know what they are. ;)     Pat

yes it's spelled atlat and it's commonly pronounced as you say,l but the hyper-correct pronounciation would be atl-atl; it's a maya or aztec word, i believe.
frank
Frank from Germany...