Author Topic: Nock left  (Read 9488 times)

Don Case

Nock left
« on: June 06, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »
I did a bit of practice shooting this morning and noticed that a lot(most) of my shots hit the target with the nock to the left. I shoot right handed. I suspected spine but the five arrows I was shooting spine from 45 to 75#. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas? I was shooting from about 10 yds if that matters.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Nock left
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 03:05:36 pm »
Nock left sounds like spine to light, but if you're shooting 75# spine arrows, it must be quite the bow that you're shooting. Mark the spine on the individual arrows and see how they behave. From a 50# self bow, the 45# arrows should fly pretty straight, the higher the spine the more nock right the arrows will hit.

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:14:06 pm »
It's only a 45# bow. That's why I was looking for something other than spine. I've probably only shot 100 or so arrows since I took this up so the obvious suspect is me. The five arrows I've made are 47,55,65,65 and 74#. I can't see much difference among them. I'll have to spend a little more time at it. There should be an obvious difference between 47 and 74 shouldn't there?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:43:43 am »
Yes, there should be a noticeable difference between 45 and 74 in their flight patterns.  They sound like they might all be stiff for that bow.  Are they all the same length? Length and point weight also play a factor in this. Maybe try shooting closer to the target, the fletchings might be correcting the arrow flight at that yardage. Shoot at 5 yards and see what happens.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:26:24 am »
Did you have a right to left crosswind while you were shooting?  It sounds like a silly question I know.  But that would be a probable cause given that you were shooting such a wide range of spine and the angle was consistent.  Josh

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:06 am »
Don, Even at 10 yards I'm guessing that your arrows are not flying straight yet when they impact the target. I doubt that they have been through paradox in that short distance and also doubt that they are grouping together with that wide of spine range. All but maybe 1 of the arrows have to be too stiff of spine for a 45# bow unless the arrow shelf is cut to center. You will need long shafts and extremely heavy points up front in order to get good flight from the heavier spines. It's doable but the arrows will be slow and drop quickly.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:23:53 pm »
Thanks for the input. I've been making my first yew bow for a couple of days so I haven't had a chance to try anything. (tillering trumps shooting) I'm going to pick up a variety of tips today to give me some wiggle room. There was a bit of a right to left wind but I was pretty protected where I was. I'm running out of seasoned staves and my arrow blanks are just about seasoned so I should be able to make some arrows to sort this out. I should join the archery club and get a few lessons to help eliminate my own incompetence. The new yew bow looks like it's coming in light so that may be a help. I won't be shaking so much :-[ :-[ I'll have to make a different batch of arrows for it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:38:14 am »
Nock left is weak, for right handed shooter,I shoot mine to test at 5 yards or so,that should tell you. Also be sure to draw the same when you are testing,it make a huge difference if you draw once at 28 and another at 25. Try to be consistant on draw length. The 75 should hit nock right and as you lighten the spine it should move toward the right. :) I usually do this bare shaft until I fine the right one then build the others accordingly. :) And yes the way you grip the bow and your release will effect the arrow flight so try when you are testing to do that the same each time then if one flies bad after they are fletched you will know it is in your form,not the set up. you need,at least I need confidenst in the set up to shoot well. Then you know it is you and can work on your form. Hang in ,it will get easier. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »
90% of the time nock left indicates weak spine so I'll venture to say that in this case something else has come into play placing you in the other 10%.
Since I can't see your setup and how you shoot I can only guess that it is form or nocking point too low and your arrows are slapping off the shelf or your hand sending them into crazy flight characteristics from the start.
First thing I would try is moving the nock point up and see if that makes a difference.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.