Author Topic: footing bamboo shafts  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

footing bamboo shafts
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:01:52 am »
Whenever I can finally get time to make some more arrows I want to try footing some bamboo shafts with hickory. I love the flight characteristics of the bamboo and the durability and punch of hickory. So figured I would like to combine these features. Does anyone have any tips for doing this? I am thinking I will put a hardwood dowel plug in the end of the bamboo to make it solid then cut the splice joint from this. Think it will work? I'm going to try starting this when I can get done with a BL bendy handle molle as a set for it.

All tips appreciated, Thanks
Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: footing bamboo shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:58:18 am »
Kyle, you can do this by tapering the foreshaft so it fits into a similar tapered socket in the cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »
That sounds much easier than trying to cut V spices into a round piece of bamboo. Thanks Pat.

Kyle

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:39:54 pm »
maybe I'm out of line, but Reparrows might be an even easier method. Google it.

Jim Davis
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:19:56 am by asharrow »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:36:15 pm »
Its going to be difficult no matter the route you take. If your looking to add weight and durability you can try inserting a 16d nail shank in the point end. Then cut a taper on and glue your point on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:04 pm »
Its going to be difficult no matter the route you take. If your looking to add weight and durability you can try inserting a 16d nail shank in the point end. Then cut a taper on and glue your point on.

Ditto!  You don't need to foot a bamboo shaft, unless you want to have a couple of replacement points, like on an atlatl.  The boo is quite durable, especially the Tonkin shafts.  Plus it is a lot of work, and you have to get it aligned correctly.  If you want weight, do like PD said. ;)

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:03 pm »
I agree that footing cane arrows is not necessary. I've only made one footed cane arrow and many, many without footings. Either WolfWatcher or Hawk Houston have the only footed cane arrow I ever made.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC