Author Topic: How about multiflora rose?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: How about multiflora rose?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:56 pm »
     Thanks Pat.  I was looking at it, and got out of my truck, and walked over to a big clump of it, and thought.....
those guys are nuts!  So the straight ones are in the middle?  Figures.  Do you have to trample the outside ones first to get to the middle ones, to cut them? ;D ::)  Cutting those for arrows, sounds like you would end up looking like you were trying to pack a pound of wet noodles up a Bob Cat's @$$!  :o  For the time being, I think I will stick to Tonkin and other species.  Thanks guys, I was wondering how you made an arrow out of that mess.  I don't mind a little bit of straightening, but looking at those shoots, and limbs, I thought, man it would take me a day, to get one, somewhat in line. :P  Yeah, I may try one later on down the road, but for now, I will stick to what I am comfortable with. ;)

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 12:08:05 am »
Look along woods lines and creeks. The birds spread the seed and ones growing in partial shade have a looser growth habit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 08:46:20 am »
Get some long handled pruners and reach into the middle with them to cut the ones you want. Then grab them w/ the pruners real easy like and drag them out of the bramble by the big end. Leather gloves are good to have too.  ;) Come on, give it a try.  >:D  ;D ;D dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline papoints

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 08:10:55 pm »
Ya'll convinced me, guess I am going to get cut up :).

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 08:41:23 pm »
Good To Hear!!! Cut five or so, hand straighten then lash up. its good to hand straighten a couple more times in the next few days, then let them sit for a while. maybe 6 to 16 weeks. I sand off the bark after heat straightening. have fun!! dp

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 01:47:33 pm »
I don't bother straightening them right away or through the drying, anymore. I've found it didn't make any difference. I leave the bark on until it shrivels and puckers. The wood is then dry enough to start making arrows. I then scrape the bark off and correct using heat . let it sit for a while  (hour or so)and then recorrect if neccessary. They then seem to be quite stable.  Keep in mind that I cut in winter , so there is less moisture to begin with.  This is  from the bunch I cut about 2-3 months ago. Made it  for  an upcoming presentation. You can see the small bumps from the thorns are nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:42:54 pm by lostarrow »

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
I don't bother straightening them right away or through the drying, anymore. I've found it didn't make any difference. I leave the bark on until it shrivels and puckers. The wood is then dry enough to start making arrows. I then scrape the bark off and correct using heat . let it sit for a while  (hour or so)and then recorrect if neccessary. They then seem to be quite stable.  Keep in mind that I cut in winter , so there is less moisture to begin with.  This is  from the bunch I cut about 2-3 months ago. Made it  for  an upcoming presentation. You can see the small bumps from the thorns are nothing to worry about.
+1. The bark comes off real easy after it puckers. Cut them long too. Rose will check. I don't seal the ends like some folks do. I just cut em long and trim off the damage after they're straight.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 02:46:03 am »
also so far as I can see - they grow a lot straighter if they are in the shade - or in a tangled mess of other growth.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 12:49:45 am »

Thanks guys, I will start looking at hem in a different view now. ;)

Wayne

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 10:15:39 am »
best place to find straight wild rose in my area of NY is in the thick woods. it grows tall and straight reaching for little bits of sun light the breaks through the tree canopy. I have cut some that was almost an inch and a quarter in diameter, mean stuff though, wear thick gloves, pants, and a carhart to get the good ones out of the middle
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 10:36:38 am »
DANG NeoMan! What you using them 1 1/4" rose for?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 04:37:22 pm »
Yes, made lots of arrows from it. Cut, straighten, bundle. In a week undue the bundle every few days and straighten. Eventually they will likely not need heat.
Here is a bit of a buildalong.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Jawge/media/Wild%20Rose%20Arrow/rosearrow0001.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »
best place to find straight wild rose in my area of NY is in the thick woods. it grows tall and straight reaching for little bits of sun light the breaks through the tree canopy. I have cut some that was almost an inch and a quarter in diameter, mean stuff though, wear thick gloves, pants, and a carhart to get the good ones out of the middle

Did you try making a bow out of it? I have a  short stave around the same diameter . Be interested to see what it can do.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 08:51:05 pm »
Bowtartist, I cut it because I found it and couldnt believe how big it was, also I hate the stuff. Its everywhere and makes hunting for anything a real pain in the well, where ever it gets ya! figured I could get an arrow out of it... not sure if I did or not, I will have to check my piles of arrow hopefuls and see if I have any more big ones!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!