Author Topic: ACR (after classic review)  (Read 2471 times)

Stringman

ACR (after classic review)
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:20 pm »
Thought I'd post a few pics of points made at the classic. The first is plain corner notch that was made from some real candy Burlington that I pulled from the kiln just before the trip. Always impressed with the way good rock works.

The second is a sweet Clovis that I found in the same spall. What is shocking is that I wasn't even thinking Clovis when I started on this point. I actually felt it was too thin to begin with and gave it small chance of success. But after completing the first free hand flute I decided to try for the second full well knowing it was likely to snap. After setting up the platform and adjusting my anvil and pinch points a few times I gave her a good whack and just about crapped myself! Few points am I more proud of than this one. Kinda one of those plateau moments...

This last picture is of a rock that came to me by way of trade. JWs good friend, Hank, and I had a good time chatting thru the weekend and at one point I talked him into taking a few of my staves home with him. I was in the process of packing up to leave and noticed that he had not stopped by to claim the sticks so I assumed the trade was off. "No worries," thought I, and hauled it back home. 3 days later I arrive home from work to find this GORGEOUS rock sitting in a box with some other trade items. (Guess that means he wants the sticks!!) After a brief discussion with JW I find the rock has a name. Anybody else know what it's called?

God Bless!

Offline TRACY

Re: ACR (after classic review)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:02 pm »
Very Nice knapping Scott ! Really like the Clovis

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:58 pm »
Very nice points there Scott. And I would have to sit and look at that rock for a long time before ever wacking on it,
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:48:51 pm »
looks like a really nice piece of rainy buttes

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »

Bob? ;D  OK, what is the name of the rock?  Beautiful points! 8)

Wayne

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:07:32 pm »
looks like a really nice piece of rainy buttes

That's the name I got. It a a beauty for shore!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 03:56:42 pm »
Scott, good lookin points and nice job on the hand flutes, I got a box from hank yesterday and also got a nice chunk of yep Rainy Buttes, did you notice how heavy it seems to a rock of comparible size, extremely dense and the few that I have had knapped nice. Bob

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »
Somehow I didn't see those......Awesome points Scott
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:21:45 pm »
Real nice, Scott. How about the set of Andices minus the one?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:27:59 pm »
Those all got passed out before I could get pictures. (Smith points) and 2 were broke and thrown into the pit.  :-\

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:08 pm »
Thanks for the views stringman.
Can't wait to see what you get out of the colorful present.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 10:06:13 am »
Those are some really nice clean notches! And the flutes are awesome! Me and this jig have been going back and forth here, but hand fluting ALWAYS has the same result for me.
 I picked up a bunch of petrified wood just a couple miles from rainy buttes ND, didn't find anything that resembled that, purty :)
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 02:00:17 pm »
That Rainy Buttes chert is some pretty material. I'm fixing to head up to visit my brother in North Dakota who is going to take me to an area that he's gotten some from before. He's lived there most of his life and knows many ranchers in the area that will let us hunt for rock. Hopefully I'll be able to get some Knife River flint also. Here's a very informative PDF link - the study was done recently. Good info here as to what type of materials the Native Americans used to make points and tools with. Rick B

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/documents/newsletter/2014Winter/Winter2014KnifeRiverFlint.pdf

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 11:44:41 am »
Beautiful points Scott,very nice. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good