Author Topic: Knapping in NZ  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Crogacht

Knapping in NZ
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:39:51 pm »
Hi guys,

I like the look of this knapping business, but have never tried it. I'm aware that no one here will have knowledge of where to find rocks in my area, but I wondered if anyone had some advice about the suitability of the following rock types?

The Maori (native people of NZ) have been here give or take 1,000 years, but never needed a bow and arrow, and so never made any arrow heads etc. They made other things though, tools, spears, various types of clubs and so on. It seems like most of the time the stone was knapped into shape, then "sanded" and polished using natural materials to acheive the cutting edge or point, rather than using pressure flaking etc (bear in mind I know even less about knapping than bowmaking ;))

Like most cultures, the methods used reflect the properties of the material. People do things for a reason, and once they've been doing it for awhile, they get pretty good at it.

But I want to make arrowheads, and near me I have Argillite, Greywackes and Basalts, further away there is a little flint (chert), and then far away to the North there is Obsidian. We also have pounumu (aka nephrite, but too expensive) and a few other misc sandstone type rocks.

I don't have access to the Obsidian, but I know that would flake pretty well if I could get some.

I see you guys using flint/chert, and it seems good too, but would require a bit of travel.

The Argillite would be by far the easiest for me to get hold of, I know where to find it. Does anyone have experience making arrowheads from Argillite?

Like I said, I don't know anything about knapping, but felt like getting some questions off my chest :D

Offline Crogacht

Re: Knapping in NZ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:09:02 pm »
I've just looked up some argillite arrowheads online, doesn't seem like it knapps well at least. Maybe I should use the methods the Maori used and rough out a point then grind and polish from there?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:14 pm »
Check out Caveman 2553 , he has knapped a lot arguilite, Most of them use a wooden billet an make some beautiful stuff. Bob

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 10:43:42 pm »
Looks like you're right there Bob, might just need a different technique than most of the stuff I see posted around here.

But it's certainly possible, exhibit A: 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,8863.0/nowap.html

If THAT is possible, then an arrowhead is possible I'm SURE.

I've also seen mention of a few other rocks around here, like porcelanite, which looks like it knapps quite well... this warrants further investigation for sure! Maybe I'll have to spend a bit more time looking at the ground when I go walking instead of at the tree trunks ;) You've given me hope that there might be knapping material here after all  ;D

Offline flungonin

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:37 pm »
Awesome knife. Thats one lucky young man you gifted.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:45:16 pm »
I hope that is directed at mullet, he is the master knapper and generous giver of gifts, I am merely a flake in the knapping pit looking up at those guys :D Or more accurately a plain rock outside the knapping pit wishing it was a flake on the ground :D :laugh: hahahaha

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:37:34 pm »
Crogacht,  Seems to me that I've seen post of basalts. Never used it myself but some of these guys have
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 06:48:27 pm »
Some basalt can be quite good. There are those who knap the lesser grades with hard wood batons.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:57 pm »
You can give the argilites and basalts a try.
 Don't be disappointed if you don't do to good as a beginer.
Glass, as in bottle bottoms is good for starters. Old Clorox, whiskey, bromo bottles  are good and colorfuland. Table top and shelf (tempered) glass are excellent.
 I would see if I could buy some obsidian from folks up north. It is usually not that costly and produces unique blades.
Bring a metal object (hammer) when searching for silica, cherts.
Some ring like new money.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.