Author Topic: Fire killed Osage?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Fire killed Osage?
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:32:32 pm »
 Anyone ever tried osage that was killed by fire? My grandma's house burned down in april of this year and there is a hedgerow about 20 yards from the house,and ten or twelve osage trees got scorched pretty good and now show no signs of life. I am going to cut them when i get time and just wondered if it would still make bows or should i just chunk it into firewood.
Steve Bennett

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Fire killed Osage?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 09:54:21 pm »
Sorry to hear about grandmas Steve. I know first hand what that's like. Don't know about the wood, but i guess there's only one way to find out. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:10:34 pm »
Al Herrin wrote an article that specifically mentioned burning the tree before even cutting it down. A small controlled fire was built around the base of the tree and tended for an unspecified length of time.
 Many writers have mentioned that the Indians would highly regard a tree killed by fire as prime bow material and the method described by Herrin seems to be their way of making it happen rather than chancing on a fire killed tree.
 You shouldn't have a problem unless the wood is deeply charred.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:14:23 pm »
I would go for it.  We use heat to bend osage and heat to toast the belly of the limbs.  Scrape away the scorched wood and give it a go.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply's. I guess i will try to save all thats not scorched too deep and see how it works out. Some are charred to 8 to 10 feet above the ground and some are only charred for 2 to 3 feet. Won't  know how deep untill i get to cutting. Just didnt know if getting live wood that hot  would damage it beyond being usable. The fire happened just as our trees were starting to bud out. I was actually surprised that none of the damaged trees put out any leaves.
Steve Bennett

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:50:22 am »
Al Herrin wrote an article that specifically mentioned burning the tree before even cutting it down. A small controlled fire was built around the base of the tree and tended for an unspecified length of time.
 Many writers have mentioned that the Indians would highly regard a tree killed by fire as prime bow material and the method described by Herrin seems to be their way of making it happen rather than chancing on a fire killed tree.
 You shouldn't have a problem unless the wood is deeply charred.

I think Al was talking about a method of cutting down a tree using a fire
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:14:18 am »
 That may have been a secondary reason but he was very specific about the fire changing the wood properties in a positive way.
 Keep in mind that steel axes would have long since been introduced so the char and chop method wouldn't have been really necessary for a bow stave sized tree.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:13:51 pm »
I am sorry to hear about your grandmothers home.   I am curious to learn what you find in the really chared ones. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso