Author Topic: Why do you knap?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline papoints

Re: Why do you knap?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 10:06:24 pm »
That glorious sound of a flake falling onto a pile of other flakes on the tarp.....

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Why do you knap?
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 12:43:25 am »
The first thing that got me knapping was the challenge.  And I wanted some stone points that looked good and didn't cost too much.  So I figured I could just knap some.   ::)  Youtube videos really got me intrigued.  I watched lots of videos before I made a serious attempt.  I wanted to do everything abo in the beginning, like many newbies, so that's what I did.

Abo tools made me EXTREMELY frustrated, though.  I bought some real artifacts and studied them for hours and hours.  I was mystified.  How did they do it?  I almost gave up.  Then I developed a style of indirect percussion.  Aha!  It works!  Then I switched to copper.  Then the light went on.  Aha!  This can be fun!

I knap because it never gets old for me.  It started as a challenge and now it's therapy.  And it makes me feel connected to who I am:  a tool using animal.  :)

Edit:
PS:  I still use abo techniques.  Especially when I put on a demonstration for archies or collectors.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr