Author Topic: question about making a Flemish string  (Read 2784 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
question about making a Flemish string
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:25:28 pm »
I have made several flemish strings with my string jig. I know how to measure my bows for string length. And that usually the string needs to be 3" shorter for a longbow and 4" for a recurve.
My problem is that I keep coming up short, sometimes I have even made 3 strings before I get one the right length.
A couple days ago I finished tillering a bow and decided to make a string for it. NTN it measured 62.5". So I set my length peg at the 60" mark. Made the string following the instructions I was taught and ended up with a nice string  that was a little over 57" without much twist in the main part of the string.
So I made another one with my peg set at 62" and it came out nicely. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks, Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question about making a Flemish string
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:28:21 pm »
That's why I make a rat tail at the bottom end and tie a bowyers. It can be adjusted to fit a few different lengths.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 03:00:08 pm »
Patrick,
can you post a pic of your jig, please.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 03:24:59 pm »
Do you measure nock to nock from the belly side?
You may have a jig where you should set the pin on the ntn distance.
Remember too many twists is not good. 1-2 per inch is ok.
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 04:15:49 pm »
Here is my jig guy's.

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »
I think that George has the answer for you. I believe that your jig is set up to measure by the ntn distance on your bow, not the length of your desired string. For instance. if you were making a string for your 62" bow you would use the peg that says 62" on your jig. The string would not be 62" but it would be the right length for your 62" bow. That is how my jig is set up.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 05:55:20 pm »
Thanks for your help guys,  I was wondering if that wasn't what the deal was. Couldn't live without PA!  8) Patrick

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 06:09:02 pm »
........... :laugh:   oooohhhh funny one because I built the same jig 2 years ago and have yet to use it.  Call it laziness or whatever I just use the 1/8" nylon that is rated at 200lbs. it works for me.. :)  I tie a loop, I have not even tied a bowyers knot yet.  I guess I'm more focused on building bows. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell