Author Topic: Razor Clams  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Razor Clams
« on: April 21, 2014, 04:28:05 pm »
I believe we had our last Razor clam dig for the spring this weekend,  Good Friday was a beautiful day on the beach Saturday was back to PNW weather, side ways rain but got our limits (15each) Sunday I stayed home to try out my tree stand and never even seen that dang bunny :laugh:.
Do any of you East coast guys / gals dig clams? What kind do you get? These are not the only ones we have or get but one of my favorites. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Razor Clams
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »
Nice haul. When I get time we have Quahaugs and sunburst clams. And scallops.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:58:28 pm »
NICE!!! Those look Awesome Ed! Bet they are delish too. Nice haul Bro! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 04:20:02 am »
Fire up the Barby , makin' Me hungry ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:18:34 pm »
Interesting, they look a lot like fresh water mussels.
Like Ed, on Cape Cod we had big stew/chowder clams,  bay scallops,
Cherrystones and Littlenecks. Long Island too.
The scallop's you could get when they came up for air. lol
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:37:34 pm »
Looks yummy!!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:18 pm »
Just gimme a cold amber brew and a bushel of them sweethearts!  Good work, Ed!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:29 am »

Oh yeah! ;)  I thought razor clams were more narrow.  Those do look nice, and tasty!  A little chicken broth, butter, garlic, onion powder, some Cajun seasoning, a nice ice cold PBR, oh yeah, life is good! :)

Wayne

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:17 am »
Looks like some good eats Ed! Best way to eat them?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:37:47 pm »
Mullet I've heard of the Quahaugs and sunburst never had them (that I know of) I like scallops.
DP they are very good if you like clams... me I just like food...LOL
Chamookman, never had them on the BBQ, I love oysters on the BBQ, pop them open a little butter garlic oh dang I have to stop this..lol
Zuma We have some fresh water mussels here too, they are the same size, however the meat is a lot different, the mussel is mostly slime, we also have the little necks and I really like them too.
Criveraville - JW They are really good not too strong but have plenty of flavor.
Stickbender, I guess there are a few different kinds of razor clams, I have only seen a couple of the narrow ones while digging little necks on the Puget Sound
Tracy, We clean them - gut them,  egg wash and cracker crumbs and fry hot and fast in oil season to taste. We also will chop them up, mix with cracker crumbs and eggs and make patties and fry them up. These were done manly for the kids when they were little, made the clams easier to chew up. Now we do it this way well they are good and the kid will eat them more this way.
Just found out we get one more spring season this coming week. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 02:10:04 am »

Aww man, I just got through with a little snack of anchovies, some sharp cheddar, and cold PBR, and now I am hungry again!

Wayne

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 05:19:08 am »
I used to dig razor clams in Alaska as a kid we would get them on the Kenai peninsula in a town called Ninilchick. Some clam tides up there were over 20" ! Our method was finding the dimple in the sand and digging just to the side of it. Once you got down we would quickly reach into the tube and grab the clams neck. The big ones were a beast to yank out let me tell ya! Sure was good memories and great eating !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 04:32:16 pm »
Stickbender, they are pretty darn good if you like seafood. We ended up getting to dig a few more times. Tomorrow is Clams in the AM and Bear hunt the rest of the day.
Seminolewind, AK has always been my dream place. Some day maybe I'll live there. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline longbow man

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 08:38:34 pm »
   I remember digging for blue clams or razor clams(can't remember which) while in training at Tilimock Bay in Oregon. Actually we didn't dig since all we had to use was our hands. We would look for a dimple in the sand filled in with water. We would poke it with our finger and if it moved we knew a clam's foot was there before retracting back down in the sand. Most remembered time was me burrowing my hand all the way down till I had my whole arm in the sand.  I could touch the clam and after a bit got my fingers around it. However I could not pull my fist up out of the sand.  I had to get help from my teammates to dig out my arm and clam. We had nothing to cook them in so after awhile we just swallowed them raw. Like so many other things we ate it helped not to chew but just swallow(cut pieces). Good times.