Author Topic: Gills!!!  (Read 3957 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Gills!!!
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:27:19 pm »
Folks took the swamp craft out and got into some huge Bluegills! This is the rig that will put you anywhere you want to go and some pics of the fish...
                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mohawk13

Re: Gills!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:38:21 pm »
Wow...Nice pan sized fish...Break out the corn flour and pepper
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:49:05 pm »
Mmmm, smoked blueies!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:08:08 am »
Yea i love me some bluegill. There's a place just a few miles down the road from me that you can catch em that size all day long alone with 12 to 20in. largemouth bass.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 04:16:32 am »
NICE ! With all the different fish I catch here in Michigan - Salmon/Trout/Walleye/Perch, Gills are still My FAVORITE !!!!MMMMMMMMM - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 09:32:34 am »
I love your boat!  bluegills are holding way up high on my list of favorite fish - if they were bigger it wouldn't be safe to swim.   They remind me of a little terrier that has no idea how small he is and whips up on all the big dogs.   :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 09:44:45 am »
Damned Don, I was pickin ice out of the guides last week. Very nice fish. Me and "Boots" (rest his soul) used to say" if God made 6 pound bluegills you'd never get one in the boat". I believe your right Mr. Rhodes about their attitude we caught some on the small jitterbugs if ya can believe that......anyways nice fish and eatin right there Don.
rich

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:00:19 am »
Bream are dangerous little jokers.  I caught a half pounder on a buzz bait last summer!  They have no idea how big they are.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 12:27:45 pm »
Thanks Howard, I have been through unbelievable weeds and mud...She will put me back in the vegetation where some quality fish can be caught. Rich, your right buddy...These Gills pound for pound are as tough as it gets...
                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 02:32:29 pm »
     Nice eating!  While I enjoy salt water fishing, there is just nothing that can match the relaxing, and fun properties, of fishing with a plain ol cane pole, and a can of worms.  Oh, yeah, and a cold beer, and sub sandwich.  ;) ::)  We used to use little foam jitter bugs, and small poppers to catch them also.  When I was a kid, we used to sneak into a posted cow pasture, where the guy raised Brahma Bulls, and there was an irrigation ditch, that was about 8-10 foot wide, and I have no idea how deep, but it was deeper than my cane pole!, anyway, there was a board locks where we would fish, and we would come back with over twenty big blue gills, and shell crackers, each time we went there.  We could have caught more, but that was all we felt like cleaning.  They were so tasty.  But in a few years, the guy sold the property, and now it is a high class Mr. and Mrs. Got Rocks, golf club community called Atlantis.  It made us sick, when they bull dozed the drainage ditches, and all those fish!  My Grand father used to make the little foam lures, with cellophane wings, and rubber band legs, and I never could find the kind of foam he used.  Then Mullet (Eddie) told me about using flip flops for making them!  Pretty slick.  Those little swamp boats are great!  They have a version of it on steroids in Thailand.  Much bigger engines, but bigger wooden boats also.  I wonder if that is where they got the idea.  Thailand has been using that kind for quite a while, before the Viet Nam war.   Nice catch, now I'm hungry! :P  Thanks 8)

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:32:05 pm by stickbender »

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 10:01:31 pm »
The world record is close to five pounds! Can you imagine that?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 10:37:01 pm »

Man five pounds for a blue gill is a one heck of a blue gill!!! :o :o I have caught them while fishing for bass on a rubber worm.  One when I was about 11 or 12, I caught that I at first thought was huge speck, but when I got it up to shore, and into the camp light, I saw it was a huge blue gill!  It hit my rubber worm.  they are indeed little pit bulls of the fish world!
But oh so much better tasting! ;)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 10:52:10 pm »
Five pounds,Wow! I've seen Shellcracker get that big. We call those big Bluegill,"titty bream" that's where you have to hold them against with one hand while you try to get the hook out with the other. That is a heck of a boat, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:40:16 am »
Awesome Boat, and great fish. I love Bluegill. I have a reservoir  near me that has them. Some days i'll catch 50. All on the fly rod.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.